Free software is a cornerstone of any modern
free society. We build this foundation.
With your help, we will raise $450,000 this
winter to make this foundation even stronger.
Donate today, and build us up for 2014.
Free Software Directory:Features/Installation instructions
This is one of the proposed features to this site.
The idea is to give installation instructions for projects on fully free distributions of GNU/Linux. This requires that we get the package names for them and then write a template to display installation instructions for each distro. "To install on Trisquel, type: sudo apt-get install gimp". One of the benefits of this feature is that free distros would get attention this way.
- get package names from package databases on distro websites
- match distro package names with directory page names.
- modify Template:Entry to hold those values, then auto-populate each page.
- insert a tab on project page and auto-generate installation instructions for each chosen distro, using Template:Show
- give generic build instructions (if possible, a link to a web-hosted README file from the source package)
- link to source package download in the instructions
Developing the feature
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution itself.