Bitcoin is a network and a currency establishing a PKI for electronic cash transactions which is distributed P2P, the client was published 2009 also called bitcoin for GUI and as bitcoind for CLI only. This original Client for the currency and network was renamed to Bitcoin-Qt to reference the use of the multiplatform GUI-Lib. The bitcoind still exists and enables developers to interact with a wallet file (essentially the keychain) using the API with JSON or on CLI. The project is still stated as experimental by the developers but already the economy around it is global.
To quote the developers: "Bitcoin is a decentralized P2P electronic cash system without a central server or trusted parties. Users hold the crypto keys to their own money and transact directly with each other, with the help of the network to check for double-spending."
- the bitcoin paper, a brief description in 9 pages, published 2009
- the bitcoin-wiki
- The physical available magazine
License: © Bitcoin Project 2009–2013, Released under the MIT-License
- Official Website
- The Bitcoin Foundation
- Official Forum
- Armory Client working on top of Bitcoin-Qt
- Multibit a bitcoin client written in Java
- online block-explorer for the blockchain
- ... many websites using the currency or network ...