Broaden your selection: Category/Audio
- Think of a radio station. Airtime is software that allows multiple people to run it over the internet. Airtime helps them manage the audio archive, upload files, create shows, manage staff, edit the programme calendar and cue playout. Designed specifically for independent media, it's free software.
- Aria Maestosa
- Compose, edit, and play MIDI files. Has a graphical user interface with multiple instrument-specific views.
- Audacity is a cross-platform multitrack audio editor that lets you record sounds directly or import Ogg, WAV, AIFF, AU, IRCAM, or MP3 files.
It features a few simple effects, all of the editing features you should need, and unlimited undo. The GUI is built with wxWidgets and the audio I/O currently uses PortAudio.
- audio convert is a script that converts between WAV, Ogg, MP3, MPC, FLAC, APE, and WMA files. It has an easy-to-use interface that makes it possible to fill in the tags for a few formats and choose the quality of compression. The script was initially designed for the Nautilus file browser and can be easily installed into Nautilus by copying it to the nautilus-scripts directory. You can then right-click on files and choose "audio-convert" from the "scripts" menu. The script is also known to work on rox or directly from a shell.
- CYTHAR is multi-platform, pattern-oriented, polyphonic MIDI step-sequencer, which makes its own path. 16 parallel patterns with six tracks and 16 bars -- equating to 256 bars and 96 tracks. The six pattern tracks imitate the strings of a guitar and will be tuned e.g. to “EAdgbe”.
For example, you can set a guitar chord to a pattern tune and then by enabling a few events or triggers the sequencer will start a solo or plays with the chords. You can program drum sets, melodies, arpeggios and complete songs.
- Cadencii is a multi-track piano roll editor. A synthesis backend, such as vConnect-STAND or EFB-GW-PL is needed.
- DelVj is a tool that provides real-time 3D composition and algorithmic video composition in which the computer composes 3D forms as indicated by the user as a virtual extension of the users mind. It can be given indications for the objects, videos, and effects, and the computer can do the rest. It features a GTK+ interface that runs puredata in the background, controls xmms, and allows tweaking of all patch parameters, recording of videos, and streaming to an Icecast server.
- dirogg is a script to migrate your entire music collection to the Ogg Vorbis format. It's a recursive script, meaning that you run it from the top level of your music directories, and it will automatically recurse and convert all MP3 files to Ogg.
- Ecasound is a software package designed for multitrack audio processing. It can be used for simple tasks like audio playback, recording and format conversions, as well as for multitrack effect processing, mixing, recording and signal recycling. Ecasound supports a wide range of audio inputs, outputs and effect algorithms. Effects and audio objects can be combined in various ways, and their parameters can be controlled by operator objects like oscillators and MIDI-CCs. A versatile console mode user-interface is included in the package.
- The FLAC project consists of:
- the stream format
- reference encoders and decoders in library form
- flac, a command-line program to encode and decode FLAC files
- metaflac, a command-line metadata editor for FLAC files
- input plugins for various music players
FLAC has recently joined the Xiph project, which produces other free codecs such as speex and Ogg Vorbis.