Broaden your selection: Category/Science
- Avaneya: Viking Lander Remastered DVD
- Whether you are a fan of science fiction, a space–science enthusiast, hobbyist, photographer, gamer or a patron of grass–roots libre arts and technology, you are sure to find the first successful images from the surface of Mars highly captivating. These mind blowing images were taken by NASA's Viking landers during the highly ambitious, billion–dollar mission first launched in 1975. However, many images were nearly lost to history due to magnetic tape deterioration and archaic proprietary technology.
With NASA's blessing, our team developed the technology to recover many of these images. This research tool was part of the design phase of our parent project, Avaneya — our upcoming libre cerebral science fiction game for the GNU operating system set on Mars, described in the words of Richard Stallman as an exciting, pioneering project.
Originally an internal research tool, overwhelming public interest compelled us to release the technology on this DVD for all. Now everyone can relive the original breathtaking experience that captured the world's attention and marked the first successful moment in history that humanity saw Mars — not as a distant, impersonal, celestial body, beheld through a telescope for centuries, but as a tangible and alien world well within its reach.
- GNOME Water Temperature Applet
- The GNOME Water Temperature Applet displays water temperatures of rivers, lakes and oceans in your GNOME panel.
- GeoTIFF Viewer
- GeoTIFF Viewer is a simple viewer for GeoTIFF files, which are georeferenced raster images, typically used for maps.
- Gstat is a computer program for geostatistical modelling, prediction and simulation in one, two, or three dimensions. Gstat uses gnuplot (a program for plotting functions) to display sample variograms and variogram functions. The program has a flexible command language. Spatial prediction options range from simple kriging to universal cokriging.
- This program is intended to make working with the Generic Mapping Tools (GMT) easier. iGMT provides a graphical user interface for GMT and is written in the Tcl/Tk computer language. Besides supplying a user friendly way of handling GMT, iGMT comes with built-in support for many different geoscientific data sets, such as topography, gravity, seafloor age, hypocenter catalogs, plate boundary files, hotspot lists, CMT solutions etc. 'iGMT' is used at numerous institutions worldwide for mapping tasks and teaching GMT.
- ImageJ is a public domain Java image processing program inspired by NIH Image for the Macintosh. It runs, either as an online applet or as a downloadable application, on any computer with a Java 1.4 or later virtual machine.
- librsb is a library for sparse matrix computations featuring the Recursive Sparse Blocks (RSB) matrix format. This format allows cache efficient and multi-threaded (that is, shared memory parallel) operations on large sparse matrices. The most common operations necessary to iterative solvers are available, e.g.: matrix-vector multiplication, triangular solution, rows/columns scaling, diagonal extraction / setting, blocks extraction, norm computation, formats conversion. The RSB format is especially well suited for symmetric and transposed multiplication variants. On these variants, librsb has been found to be faster than Intel MKL's implementation for CSR. Most numerical kernels code is auto generated, and the supported numerical types can be chosen by the user at build time. librsb implements the Sparse BLAS standard, as specified in the BLAS Forum documents.
- Marble offers different kind of beautiful and useful map views of the Earth including OpenStreetMap. It can also search for place names and suggest routes.
- PrimaGIS is a collaborative Web mapping application for Plone that is built on top of MapServer, Python Cartographic Library (PCL), and Cartographic Objects for Zope (ZCO). In addition to supporting traditional spatial data sources (e.g. shapefiles, PostGIS databases, raster images, and WMS/WFS services), it allows users to combine data from a content management system (Plone) within the maps.
- PuffinPlot is a user-friendly, cross-platform program which analyses and plots palaeomagnetic data. It provides several plot types and analysis functions commonly used in palaeomagnetism, user-configurable graph layout, CSV data export, and SVG and PDF graph export. It has facilities for both interactive and bulk analysis, and can also be controlled and extended using any JVM-based scripting language (including Python). PuffinPlot is written in Java.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.