Broaden your selection: Category/System-administration
- APing is the advanced ping program written in Python from scratch that can execute four type of ICMP probes :
- echo request
- address mask request
- timestamp request
- and information request
You can also change the TOS value in packets, retrieve the UTC time from a valid timestamp reply packet, or to change the TTL, even to trace the sent packets to understand better what's going on.
- The GNU Accounting utilities `ac', `accton', `last', `lastcomm', and `sa' add login and process accounting support to GNU/Linux. "Login accounting" provides summaries of system resource usage based on connect time, and "process accounting" provides summaries based on the commands executed on the system.
- AcpiTool is a Linux ACPI client. It's a small command line application, intended to be a replacement for the apm tool. The primary target audience are laptop users, since these people are most interested in things like battery status, thermal status and the ability to suspend (sleep mode). The program simply accesses the /proc/acpi or /sysfs entries to get or set ACPI values. A computer running a Linux kernel from the 2.4.x or 2.6.x series with ACPI enabled is needed. It also supports various extensions for Toshiba, Asus, and IBM Thinkpad laptops.
- Adblock Plus
Antifeature: Tracking comment Adblock Plus is ineffective for surveillance protection by default as it comes with Acceptable Ads enabled: These ads are not meant to be "ads that don't track you".
Blocks banners, pop-ups, tracking, malware. By default, nonintrusive ads aren't blocked in order to support websites.
The add-on is supported by over forty filter subscriptions in dozens of languages which automatically configure it for purposes ranging from removing online advertising to blocking all known malware domains. Adblock Plus also allows you to customize your filters with the assistance of a variety of useful features, including a context option for images, a block tab for Flash and Java objects, and a list of blockable items to remove scripts and stylesheets.
Starting with Adblock Plus 2.0 there is an option in Filter Preferences to allow some non-intrusive advertising. The goal is to support websites using non-intrusive ways to advertise and to encourage more websites to do the same.
- 'afick' is a multi-platform file integrity checker. It works by first creating a database that represents a snapshot of the essential parts of your computer system. You then run the script to discover all modifications made since the snapshot was taken (i.e. files added, changed, or removed). It shows new, deleted and changed files (rights, owner, size, content).
- Alarm Pinger
- Alarm Pinger (apinger) is a little tool which monitors various IP devices by simple ICMP echo requests. Unlike most Perl or shell script tools, it does not spawn processes or use much CPU time, and is ideal for when one wants continuous monitoring and fast response upon target failure. It supports both IPv4 and IPv6. Alarm Pinger is configurable via $sysconfdir/apinger.conf file. The configuration file contains definitions for alarms, targets and various parameters. It does need root privileges to start (to create raw sockets), but will drop them before sending or receiving any packets.
- Alist is a program that collects hardware and software information about systems and stores it in a database for users to browse and search via a Web interface. The program consists of three parts: a client portion that collects the information, a daemon that receives data sent from clients, and a CGI that displays and lets you search for information.
- The Berkeley Automounter, Amd, maintains a cache of mounted file systems, and lets users dynamically control which file system to mount with selectors. Selectors, which may be combined, allow decisions of the form "hostname is this," or "architecture is not that." Amd also supports numerous file system types, including NFS, UFS and the novel program file system. The combination of selectors and multiple file system types means that identical configuration files can be used on all machines. Amd will not hang if a remote server goes down, and can determine when a remote server has become inaccessible and mount replacement file systems when they become available.
- It is fast, easy to install and run, very flexible, features multi-language support, produces attractive output, can be run directly or from a form interface, understands any logfile format, and works on any operating system. It can report in 36 languages.
- 'andatool' displays in real time how often regular expressions match with the lines written to a logfile. This shows (for example) which firewall rules get triggered the most.