Free Software Directory:Features
- Debian/Trisquel import tool
- Improvements to Form:Entry
- Have each page be a nicely formatted printable flyer.
- Promote FSD Collections
- Import IceCat extensions using a scraper
- See FSD:Features/Properties for new fields/properties that have
Below are ideas for how we can improve the FSD in other ways. If you'd like to help, get in touch! We can point you in the right direction so you can start adding to the directory.
free distros of GNU/Linux.
- RSS feeds of
developer blogs for each program in the directory
for many of the directory items, including screenshots, howtos,
scripts, config files, etc., and a zip file containing the project file(s) that were used with the relevant program(s).
- Favorites / “I use
- Internationalization of the Directory -- translations of entries.
- Brief description (one short sentence) in the list of categories (or
make a separate list if needed)
- Fix the Entry templates so that instead of querying semantic values it
uses the Template values. We can store the template values as arrays or other data structures we already have available to us.
- Organize packages implemented in programming languages, working with
them, or extended in them: we currently have “Computer languages” single
line field, programming language categories and prerequisites: it's not obvious when editing which field is used for which use.
- Add a tab with information useful for building or developing a
- Use short descriptions for all software listings: the listings should
remain compact. This allows us to use wikicode to a greater extent in full descriptions, without “polluting” the listings.
- Add optional screenshots, maybe from [http://screenshots.debian.net/
- Improve semantic ontology/RDF representation by
defining new vocabularies] * Perhaps look into DOAP or
authority control system] to make software entries uniquely identifiable
and easy for machines to process it enabling wikidata integration
- Import resources from awesome-gamedev
and other aggregates
Places to discuss ideas
Join the [https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/directory-discuss mailing list] or hang out on IRC #fsf on chat.freenode.net.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.