Free Software Directory:Features/Installation instructions
The idea is to give installation instructions for the fully free distributions of GNU/Linux. This requires that we get the program names for these packages and then write a template for each program. One of the benefits of this feature is that free distros would get attention this way.
- get package names from package databases on distro websites
- make a tab on package info pages and autogenerate installation instructions for each chosen distro using templates (based on package name)
- give generic build instructions (if possible, a link to a web-hosted Installation text file from the source package)
- link to source package download in the instructions
- list program/package version numbers for each distro on the installation tab?
- make an "installation instructions available" icon that shows up next to program name in browsing mode
Developing the feature
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution itself.