free society. We build this foundation.
With your help, we will raise $450,000 this
winter to make this foundation even stronger.
Donate today, and build us up for 2014.
Free Software Directory:Features/Installation instructions
This is one of the proposed features to this site.
The idea is to give installation instructions for the fully free distributions of GNU/Linux. This requires that we get the program names for these packages and then write a template for each program. One of the benefits of this feature is that free distros would get attention this way.
- get package names from package databases on distro websites
- make a tab on package info pages and autogenerate installation instructions for each chosen distro using templates (based on package name)
- give generic build instructions (if possible, a link to a web-hosted Installation text file from the source package)
- link to source package download in the instructions
- list program/package version numbers for each distro on the installation tab?
- make an "installation instructions available" icon that shows up next to program name in browsing mode