free society. We build this foundation.
With your help, we will raise $450,000 this
winter to make this foundation even stronger.
Donate today, and build us up for 2014.
Free Software Directory:Features/Installation instructions
This is one of the proposed features to this site.
The idea is to give installation instructions for projects on fully free distributions of GNU/Linux. This requires that we get the package names for them and then write a template to display installation instructions for each distro. "To install on Trisquel, type: sudo apt-get install gimp". One of the benefits of this feature is that free distros would get attention this way.
- get package names from package databases on distro websites
- match distro package names with directory page names.
- modify Template:Entry to hold those values, then auto-populate each page.
- insert a tab on project page and auto-generate installation instructions for each chosen distro, using Template:Show
- give generic build instructions (if possible, a link to a web-hosted README file from the source package)
- link to source package download in the instructions