Version control system
Version control system and important component of Source Configuration Management (SCM). Lets you record the history of source files and documents. It's similar to the free software RCS, PRCS, and Aegis programs, but has the following significant advantages over RCS:
- runs user scripts to log operations or enforce site-specific policies
- lets separatedevelopers operate as a team
- vendor branches keep versions separate, but also merge them if needed
- unreserved checkouts let developers work simultaneously on the same files
- flexible modules database maps names to the components of a larger database
- runs on most Unix variants; clients for Windows 95/NT, OS/2, and VMS available
DocumentationUser manuals available from http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/; Printed user manual available from http://www.network-theory.co.uk/cvs/manual/; User introduction from http://ximbiot.com/cvs/cvshome/docs/blandy.html; User training manual included; Quick reference at http://ximbiot.com/cvs/cvshome/docs/ref.html; Links to other docs are at http://ximbiot.com/cvs/
released on 8 May 2008
Paid supportLists of paid consultants available from http://www.ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/index.php?title=CVS_FAQ
- CVSSearch CVSps Cervisia Rcs Subversion Prcs Svk Cvsauth Cvsd Cvsfs CVSGraph Cvsplot Gnu-arch PicoForge Unison Vesta Workon Darcs Cssc
|License||Verified by||Verified on||Notes|
|License:GPLv2orlater||Janet Casey||31 January 2001|
Leaders and contributors
|Mark D. Baushke||Maintainer|
|See the AUTHORS file distributed with the CVS sources||Contributor|
|Derek R. Price||Maintainer|
Resources and communication
|Bug Tracking||VCS Repository Webview||http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=cvs|
|Developer||VCS Repository Webview||http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=cvs|
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 9 March 2017.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.