Disclaimer: OpenSearch add-ons have been removed from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
You can still add website search engines with OpenSearch <link> (see #Implementation) to IceCat. Just visit the site and click on Page actions -> Add search engine located right to the location bar (for IceCat version 57 or later) or Search -> Add in earlier versions.
Clearnet OpenSearch engines with SSL
These search engines are not added to IceCat:
- Free Software Directory search
- DuckDuckGo (HTML): non-JS HTML version
- DuckDuckGo (Lite): non-JS Lite version
- Google Translate
- MegaGer (German)
- https://next.duckduckgo.com/ - https://github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo/issues/258#issuecomment-581039791
- https://beta.duckduckgo.com/ - https://github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo/issues/258#issuecomment-581039791
- https://ahmia.fi/ - https://github.com/ahmia/ahmia-site/issues/57
Tor OpenSearch engines with SSL
These search engines must be used by Tor Browser but they are not added by default:
Only websites with OpenSearch <link> (The External Resource Link element) can be added. For example https://duckduckgo.com/html/ has this HTML:
<link title="DuckDuckGo (HTML)" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" rel="search" href="/opensearch_html.xml" />
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.