We urge all Windows users to switch to a free GNU/Linux distribution as soon as possible.
You may want to check the Runs-on/Windows category for more software.
|Type||Free program||Replacement for|
|3D computer graphics software||Blender||Autodesk Maya ("Maya"), Autodesk 3ds Max|
|BitTorrent client||Tribler, qBittorrent||BitTorrent|
|Compiler||Mingw-w64||Microsoft Visual C++|
|Desktop publishing||Scribus||Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress|
|Diagramming software||Dia||Microsoft Visio|
|Document viewer||Evince||Adobe Reader, Microsoft Reader, Nitro PDF Reader|
|Email client, news client, feed reader||Claws Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird||Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail (included)|
|Instant messaging client, softphone, and videotelephone
|GNU Ring, Linphone||Skype, Signal|
|Instant messaging client||Pidgin, Telegram||ICQ, Trillian, Yahoo! Messenger|
|Live USB||Etcher||UNetbootin, Windows To Go (included)|
|Media player||VLC media player (VLC)||PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, Apple QuickTime, RealPlayer Basic|
|Office suite||LibreOffice (OpenOffice.org fork)||Microsoft Office|
|Online storage||ownCloud (client only)||Apple iCloud, Dropbox|
|Raster graphics editor||GIMP||PaintShop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Paint (included)|
|Text editor||Gedit, Vim|
|Vector graphics editor||Inkscape, Xfig||CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer|
|Web browser||Midori||Chromium, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer (included)|
- Synced https://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html
- Added Telegram
- Added Mingw-w64 for most GNU/Linux. Could not find mingw at https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?sort=&q=mingw&maintainer=&flagged=, https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mingw&searchon=names&suite=stable§ion=all, https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mingw&searchon=names&suite=xenial§ion=all
- Added Apple Mail
- Added Midori
- Added Xfig
- Added Mozilla Thunderbird -- GNU IceCat is a fork of Mozilla Firefox ESR, some add-ons run on both Firefox (and IceCat) and Thunderbird
- Moved Signal from "Free program" to "Replacement for". Added Skype to "Replacement for". Added GNU Ring and "inphone to "Free program".
- Moved UNetbootin from "Free program" to "Replacement for" (endorses nonfree GNU/Linux distros). Didn"t add FUSBi (abandonware) to "Free program"
- Removed Adobe FreeHand (Adobe Illustrator is already in the list) -- Since 2003 FreeHand development has been discontinued; in the Adobe Systems catalog, FreeHand has been replaced with Adobe Illustrator.
- Removed PageMaker, discontinued
- Removed AIM, discontinued (December 15, 2017)
- Removed Google Drive, a service not a software
- Removed Iridium -- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2017-01/msg00009.html, https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2017-01/msg00056.html
- Removed Qupzilla -- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2017-12/msg00011.html, https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2017-11/msg00005.html, and https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2017-11/msg00015.html
- Replaced Rufus (Windows only) with Etcher
- Replaced MSN (Windows Live Messenger, discontinued) with Facebook Messenger
- Replaced Napster with DC++
- Replaced Outlook Express (discontinued) with Microsoft Mail
- Replaced Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, WinToFlash, Windows USB Installer Maker with Windows To Go
- Made the categories more unique
- Replaced 3DSMax (formerly 3D Studio and 3D Studio Max) with Autodesk 3ds Max
- Replaced Blender3D with Blender (see menu bar Blender -> About).
- Replaced ICQ chat clients with ICQ
- Replaced InDesign with Adobe InDesign
- Replaced Maya with Autodesk Maya ("Maya")
- Replaced Paint Shop Pro with PaintShop Pro.
- Replaced Reader (Windows 8) with Microsoft Reader
- Replaced VideoLan Client with "VLC media player" (see menu bar VLC -> About).
- Replaced Xara Xtreme with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer -- The Windows version was previously sold under the names Xara Studio, Xara X and Xara Xtreme
- Replaced Yahoo with Yahoo! Messenger
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.