Difference between revisions of "Free Software Directory:Backlog Admin Group"

From Free Software Directory
Jump to: navigation, search
(Pages: stripprefix=yes)
(Mention FSD:Website guidelines as a guideline for layouts and designs.)
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 11: Line 11:
  
 
For internal meetings, the column about [[Property:TZ database time zone name]] from the above link can be used to display what would be the members' local time when the meeting start, given  this example: <code>TZ="MEMBER_TIME_ZONE" date --date='TZ="America/New_York" 12:00 this Fri'</code>.
 
For internal meetings, the column about [[Property:TZ database time zone name]] from the above link can be used to display what would be the members' local time when the meeting start, given  this example: <code>TZ="MEMBER_TIME_ZONE" date --date='TZ="America/New_York" 12:00 this Fri'</code>.
 
== Pages ==
 
{{Special:PrefixIndex/Free Software Directory:Backlog Admin Group/|stripprefix=yes}}
 
 
== We need more members ==
 
People at [irc://chat.freenode.net/#mediawiki Freenode#mediawiki] and [irc://chat.freenode.net/#semantic-mediawiki Freenode#semantic-mediawiki] should be skilled in MediaWiki. We could gently ask if someone in those IRC channels wants to candidate to be a member of our team so we can solve more complex tasks in our [[Free_Software_Directory:Backlog_active|Backlog]] faster.
 
:Example of a generic participation request:
 
::Hi <i>$firstName</i>,<br><br>I am an <i>$senderRole</i> of the Free Software Directory (FSD: <https://$currentDirectoryDomain/>), an ever-growing and user-editable web catalog of free software. We are searching for free software enthusiasts who are willing to dedicate their time and skills into volunteering for our project, with the ultimate aim of promoting free software and assisting end users. Your help is needed to translate or create the pages and/or, if you have computer science expertise, in verifying the existing pages and improving the functionalities of the FSD's infrastructure.<br>We await for your contributions during the weekly IRC meetings of the Free Software Foundation, don't miss out! (guide: <https://$currentDirectoryDomain/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Participate>)<br><br>Best regards,<br><i>%senderName</i>
 
  
 
== Membership policy ==
 
== Membership policy ==
Line 41: Line 33:
  
 
I think we should keep these permissions for two reasons 1) the FSF will get gratis sysadmin work 2) the members in BAG will learn to work with the backend. For the moment only saper is a skilled MW admin but other group members would like learn how to maintain MW.
 
I think we should keep these permissions for two reasons 1) the FSF will get gratis sysadmin work 2) the members in BAG will learn to work with the backend. For the moment only saper is a skilled MW admin but other group members would like learn how to maintain MW.
 +
 +
== Candidates for membership ==
 +
 +
* People at irc://chat.freenode.net/#mediawiki and irc://chat.freenode.net/#semantic-mediawiki at <code>chat.freenode.net</code> if full of people that are skilled with ParserFunctions, we should gently ask if someone want to be part of our team. -- [[User:Adfeno|Felipe]] ([[User_talk:Adfeno|talk]])
 +
 +
: Hi [[User:Adfeno|Felipe]], participating to the FSD requires strict adherence to the ideals of both the FSF and the GNU Project and the availability to dedicate at least 4h a week to the FSD meetings. I don't think anyone would object if you (''with common consensus'') recruit a single additional member, as long as - for security reasons - he sustains an apprenticeship period before getting the administrative privileges. ''Festina lente.'' --[[User:LorenzoAncora|LorenzoAncora]] ([[User talk:LorenzoAncora|talk]]) 08:46, 5 May 2020 (EDT)
 +
 +
:: I see what you mean, [[User:LorenzoAncora|LorenzoAncora]]. That said, I agree with you, this was an idea given initially when only I and [[User:David_Hedlund|David_Hedlund]] were the only ones maitaining FSD. That said, if all from [[FSD:Backlog Admin Group]] agree, we can close/delete this subsection since I also agree that it's not applicable. --[[User:Adfeno|Adfeno]] ([[User talk:Adfeno|talk]]) 15:48, 5 May 2020 (EDT)
  
 
== Testing pages in the main instance ==
 
== Testing pages in the main instance ==
Line 88: Line 88:
 
* Use (Main) as name space.
 
* Use (Main) as name space.
 
* Set "NAMESPACE:<title>" in the title wpNewTitleMain text form, example: "Draft:Main page"
 
* Set "NAMESPACE:<title>" in the title wpNewTitleMain text form, example: "Draft:Main page"
 +
 +
== Issues ==
 +
 +
=== Assigned ===
 +
 +
* [[FSD:Backlog active#Show changes (TOP_PRIORITY)]]: [[User:Adfeno|Adfeno]]
 +
 +
=== Not assigned ===
 +
 +
==== Set empty default values ====
 +
 +
This is a Semantic MediaWiki issue.
 +
 +
I find that most of my problems concerning empty or missing properties in a template are helped by setting default template values. You might need to poke runJobs.php. Then you can query on the default value. So you might have Template:Software looking like:
 +
 +
Software license: [[SoftwareLicense::{{{LICENSE|None}}}]]
 +
 +
Then you can pick out the pages with undeclared software license by ask'ing on [[SoftwareLicense::None]] to get the ones that aren't declared.
 +
 +
==== Homepage shouldn't be required ====
 +
 +
* The "Homepage" field should not mandatory to fill in entries. For [[Icedove]] doesn't have any homepage and it shouldn't be set to the Thunderbird homepage because it's not free due to trade mark issues.
 +
* [[FSD:Backlog#Donald]]. <!-- always keep that link here -->
 +
 +
==== Non-official compiled/non-source releases ====
 +
 +
Should we add to [[FSD:Requirements]] that we only permit data related to official releases? For example, the current Windows download link for [[IceCat]] is unofficial, but it's made by jenslody@fedoraproject.org
 +
(20:43:02) David_Hedlund: But it's still a unofficial release. I think we should discuss this policy.
  
 
== External links ==
 
== External links ==

Revision as of 16:43, 5 May 2020

The Backlog Admin Group (BAG) is a dedicated group to work on our Backlog.

Team Captain: David Hedlund.

 TZ database time zone nameIRC Freenode nick
Adonay Felipe NogueiraAmerica/Sao_Pauloadfeno
David Hedlund 🧙🏼Europe/StockholmDavid_Hedlund
Lorenzo AncoraEurope/Romekindling
Marcin CieślakEurope/Warsawsaper
Michael McMahonAmerica/New_Yorkthomzane

For internal meetings, the column about Property:TZ database time zone name from the above link can be used to display what would be the members' local time when the meeting start, given this example: TZ="MEMBER_TIME_ZONE" date --date='TZ="America/New_York" 12:00 this Fri'.

Membership policy

  • The Backlog Admin Group only accept volunteers with Administrator privileges.

Schedule

  • We'll schedule meetings every year or so to actually operate in group activity.

Guidelines

Testing instance

During David's internship: The BAG members got full access to a fresh copy of the main server to investigate setting files etc:

The FSF will consider if we will keep it after David's internship.

I think we should keep these permissions for two reasons 1) the FSF will get gratis sysadmin work 2) the members in BAG will learn to work with the backend. For the moment only saper is a skilled MW admin but other group members would like learn how to maintain MW.

Candidates for membership

Hi Felipe, participating to the FSD requires strict adherence to the ideals of both the FSF and the GNU Project and the availability to dedicate at least 4h a week to the FSD meetings. I don't think anyone would object if you (with common consensus) recruit a single additional member, as long as - for security reasons - he sustains an apprenticeship period before getting the administrative privileges. Festina lente. --LorenzoAncora (talk) 08:46, 5 May 2020 (EDT)
I see what you mean, LorenzoAncora. That said, I agree with you, this was an idea given initially when only I and David_Hedlund were the only ones maitaining FSD. That said, if all from FSD:Backlog Admin Group agree, we can close/delete this subsection since I also agree that it's not applicable. --Adfeno (talk) 15:48, 5 May 2020 (EDT)

Testing pages in the main instance

See the test category.

How to modify Form:Entry

First read the hacking section. After this pick an aspect to modify.

For properties, one could do like this:

To manage possible properties for an entry and its templates, go to any entry and "Edit" it (without the form), in the bottom you will see a list of all templates it currently uses. All templates go like this:

  • {{Entry}} is the property-setter, and is the one used by Form:Entry, so {{Entry}} doesn't display anything to the pages by itself.
  • {{Print entry}} is a intermediary --- it prints somethings but only if called.
  • {{Show}} calls {{Print entry}} and other intermediary templates in order to display things.
  • The first thing that {{Entry}} does is to call {{Show}}, then it proceeds to do all the property settings.

Form:Entry or (the Submit a new entry link in the navigation menu) is used to display editable things that can be found in "Edit with form". When done, Form:Entry automatically makes a page which uses {{Entry}}.

How to add file upload to form edit

To do.

Special pages not found in Special:SpecialPages

Special workarounds

Unlisted name spaces

  • Move the page
  • Use (Main) as name space.
  • Set "NAMESPACE:<title>" in the title wpNewTitleMain text form, example: "Draft:Main page"

Issues

Assigned

Not assigned

Set empty default values

This is a Semantic MediaWiki issue.

I find that most of my problems concerning empty or missing properties in a template are helped by setting default template values. You might need to poke runJobs.php. Then you can query on the default value. So you might have Template:Software looking like:

Software license: None

Then you can pick out the pages with undeclared software license by ask'ing on None to get the ones that aren't declared.

Homepage shouldn't be required

  • The "Homepage" field should not mandatory to fill in entries. For Icedove doesn't have any homepage and it shouldn't be set to the Thunderbird homepage because it's not free due to trade mark issues.
  • FSD:Backlog#Donald.

Non-official compiled/non-source releases

Should we add to FSD:Requirements that we only permit data related to official releases? For example, the current Windows download link for IceCat is unofficial, but it's made by jenslody@fedoraproject.org (20:43:02) David_Hedlund: But it's still a unofficial release. I think we should discuss this policy.

External links



Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.

The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.