Free Software Directory:Free software evaluation
This page is used to evaluate if suspected software is nonfree so we can remove them from the Directory or avoid to add them.
Software should be considered non-free until proven otherwise - the burdon of proof should be on the developers to prove their code is 100% freely distributable.
- Chromium itself. See Talk:Chromium page for instructions on how to contribute to ongoing evaluation.
- Iridium Browser (based on the Chromium code base)
Telegram (desktop client)
- Has delayed availability of source files compared to the binary release. See the numbered items below for more information.
- Investigate if, after a binary release, the software has a license notice available somewhere and a place telling how to contact the copyright holders for the complete corresponding source.
- Free/libre software philosophy related issue: lacks federation with XMPP. See the whole parent thread of the references from the enumerated list below, and also the page on XMPP in LibrePlanet wiki.
youtube-dl based software
- There is a small bit of the program that appears to download some DRM js and some other questionable js.
Parabola blacklisted software
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.