Source code tag system for C, C++, Java, and Yacc
GLOBAL is a source code tagging system that functions in the same way across a wide array of environments, such as different text editors, shells and web browsers. The resulting tags are useful for quickly moving around in a large, deeply nested project.
GNU GLOBAL has the following features:
- supports C, C++, Yacc, Java, PHP4 and assembly.
- works the same way across diverse environments including vi, emacs, less, bash…
- finds locations of specified symbol quickly.
- locates not only definitions but also references.
- allows duplicate tags.
- locates paths which matches to the specified pattern.
- hierarchical searches by default.
- searches not only in a source project but also in library projects.
- generates completion list for completing input method.
- supports various output formats.
- allows customizing of a set of candidate files to be tagged.
- understands POSIX 1003.2 regular expression.
- supports idutils as an external search engine.
- tag files are independent of machine architecture.
- supports incremental updating of tag files.
- plug-in parser is available to treat new language.
- supports customizing using ‘gtags.conf’.
- generates a hypertext of source code.
- compact format to save disk space.
- supports client/server environment (TRAMP ready).
- ignores binary files, dot files and specified files.
- includes cscope-compatible program (gtags-cscope).
- includes grep-like command (-g command).
- supports grep-like symbol highlighting.
DocumentationUser guide included and available online from https://www.gnu.org/software/global/manual/
This is a GNU package:global
released on 19 December 2016
|License||Verified by||Verified on||Notes|
|GPLv3orlater||Genium||19 December 2016|
Leaders and contributors
Resources and communication
|Developer||Mailing List Subscribe||http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/global-commit|
|Developer||VCS Repository Webview||savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/global/global/|
|User||Mailing List Subscribe||http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-global|
|Bug report||Mailing List Subscribe||https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-global|
|Required to build||xlib6g|
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 19 December 2016.