GNU Internet groupware project.
The GNU GLUE (GNU Links Users Everywhere) projects will create a distributed groupware application framework based on emerging new Internet standards such as XML, WebDAV, and RTSP, suitable for both synchronous and asynchronous and both on-line and disconnected operation. Organization and development on this project has just begun-- see schedule below. As the GNU GLUE project will build on many existing free software projects, it will have to inherit the terms of the existing licenses. It is intended, however, that most of the system will be published under terms that are compatible with the GPL General Public License. Support for legacy systems migration and interoperability may rely on availability of the respective proprietary software packages, but will not be required to use GNU GLUE. Current tasks include:
- Evaluate available software and design options
- Create project related "special interest groups"
- Design extensible and modular core groupware framework
- Develop groupware server(s) and other back-end components
- Deveop groupware clients(s) and helper applications
- Develop application programming framework
- Provide migration/interoperability support for legacy groupware
- Develop advanced groupware applications based on the groupware framework
- Write documentation
- Experiment with new groupware design and implementation approaches
- Create worldwide user/developer support infrastructure
- Lobby for regional government support of project
Current project schedule:
- Create feature wish list and evaluate options: end of Q1 2000
- Draft architecture, create demonstration prototypes (0.x): 3Q 2000
- Usable bootstrapping version (1.x): 4Q 2000
- Stabilized release (2.x) with reference and tutorial documentation and user-supported implementation workshop templates: 4Q 2000
DocumentationSelection from the FSF shop
If you have corrections to this entry or questions about it, please contact: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
released on 4 April 2013
Accepts cryptocurrency donations.
3 January 2019
Leaders and contributors
Resources and communication
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 12 January 2019.