GNU Midnight Commander
Unix file manager
Midnight Commander (a.k.a. MC) is a command-line file manager laid out in a common two-pane format. In addition to standard file management tasks such as copying and moving, Midnight Commander also supports viewing the contents of RPM package files and other archives and managing files on other computers via FTP or FISH. It also includes a powerful text editor for opening text files. Emacs-like key bindings are used in all widgets.
DocumentationUser man page included.
- Use the F-Keys for invoking the commands in the function key bar. If your terminal doesn't support F-keys, you can use the <ESC digit> sequence to invoke the corresponding F-digit key.
- Tab changes the current panel.
- All input lines have emacs-like key-bindings (command history is accessed through the M-p and M-n keys).
- The panels accept C-n, C-p for browsing the panel (like in Emacs).
- M-Enter copies the currently selected file name to the input line.
- M-Tab completes the current word (or tries to).
- The Virtual File System is a cute addition to the project, you may browse in tar and compressed tar files as well as browsing remote machines with the fish file system.
This is a GNU package:mc
released on 2 October 2016
|License||Verified by||Verified on||Notes|
|GPLv3orlater||Genium||9 November 2015|
Leaders and contributors
|Yury V. Zaytsev||Maintainer|
|Miguel de Icaza||Original author|
Resources and communication
|Developer||VCS Repository Webview||https://github.com/MidnightCommander/mc|
|Developer||VCS Repository Webview||http://www.midnight-commander.org/browser|
|Required to build||glib >= 2.26.0|
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 23 December 2016.