This is the style I use and recommend for the entries, feel free to also use it. It doesn't try to look similar to currently present entries and instead tries to look better and more readable. If an entry is in italic, it means I'm not entirely sure of whether it's a good idea or not, but it probably is.
If you have a concern, you can use the discussion page.
- Write the first line of a description in bold, using
- Write the compatible operating systems in the version comment, not in the description.
- Keep the description short, especially since it doesn't span over all the page.
- Keep the entries up to date! Nothing worse than seeing a page where the version download is several years old.
- Write the list of related programs carefully, better have a few software that's similar or actually related than dozens of programs which have nothing to do.
- Use wikicode and HTML. Remember you can use bold, italic, colours, fixed-width text, lists… in descriptions.
- Write the description based on what is done for the end user, not what it technically does.
- Don't write out the obvious. No need to say a program is free/libre, this is the Free Software Directory.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.