Difference between revisions of "User:David Hedlund"
(<code>TZ="Europe/Stockholm" date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M"</code>)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
<div class="mw-indicators mw-body-content">
<div class="mw-indicators mw-body-content">
Revision as of 19:47, 29 January 2018
- 1 Free software contributions
- 2 Documentation contributions
- 3 Resume
- 4 Work on the FSD
- 5 My favorite pages
- 6 Todo
- 7 Issues that needs your vote
- 8 Need more volunteers
- 9 Missing free software in the ecosystem
- 10 The pages I've submitted
- 11 My subpages
- 12 Licenses
- 13 Guidelines
- 14 Contact list
Free software contributions
Note that private email conversations, forums that cannot list contributions if not logged in (eg forums.mozillazine.org), and chat logs are excluded here. Copying is permitted, but only if you modify the source.
|My Project||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|GNU Sovix (inactive)||savannah.gnu.org||directory.fsf.org|
|Feedback for websites - Freedom (IceCat promo)||GitHub|
|WILB - Website Incompatibilities for Libre Browsers (IceCat promo)||GitHub|
|Software facility profile||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|F-Droid (Replicant promo)||gitlab.com/fdroid/||forum.f-droid.org|
|Free Software Directoryemail@example.com|
|GitHub||See "Source repo"||github.com||github.com|
|Mozilla (Firefox (GNUzilla IceCat), Thunderbird)||addons.mozilla.org (AMO)||wiki.mozilla.org||mozdev.org||bugzilla.mozilla.org||discourse.mozilla-community, support.mozilla.org|
|Major software||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|Bitcoin (ZCash promo)||bitcoin.it|
|Debian (gNewSense promo)||bugs.debian.org|
|Coreboot (Libreboot promo)||coreboot.org||review.coreboot.org||coreboot.org (no search)|
|Tor Browser (IceCat promo)||trac.torproject.org|
|Operating systems||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|Ubuntu GNU/Linux (Trisquel promo)||bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu|
|Misc||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
Please don't take Wikipedia to seriously, they are not scientific, for example they say that "Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution... The Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to describe the operating system, which has led to some controversy.".
I personally think that Wikipedia is the most negatively emotional charged forum I've ever participated. I've never experienced so many hateful people on the same forum before, I've even been bullied by their admins on IRC. Wikipedians constantly critic your edits and thank you occasionally.
I was finally blocked because I could not remember all their editing rules which cover at least a book. I don't mind so much, I used to merge my own MediaWiki articles to Wikipedia. Now I cannot do that any longer, but that does not stop other people to keep doing it for me.
- 2013, 47th place English medical editor (total 0.6 Mb): "The Cure Award: In 2013 you were one of the top 300 medical editors across any language of Wikipedia. Thank you so much for helping bring free, complete, accurate, up-to-date medical information to the public. We really appreciate you and the vital work you do!" - Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Stats/Top English medical editors 2013b
- User data: https://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools-ec/?user=David%20Hedlund&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia
- Notable contributions: To come...
Free Software Foundation
To Whom it May Concern,
It is my pleasure to recommend David Hedlund, whom I have known for a number of years when I was an employee at the Free Software Foundation (FSF), a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization based in Boston, MA USA. I found David had a great mix of not only being able to work hard and independently, but to also work as a team-player. His knowledge of free software and Internet technologies in general is extremely broad.
David was and remains a volunteer for the FSF. While David helps the organization in a variety of ways (including constructive and helpful feedback on all aspects of our work), most of my interactions with David were from his great many contributions to the Free Software Directory, a digital catalog of useful free software that runs under free operating systems. The Directory is a complex Wiki-based system for which David contributed data and information to in a variety of different ways. To help his own work, David even went so far as to write his own set of scripts to help organized and scrape data from other sites. His contributions to Directory not only helped the FSF as an organization, but have been used by countless members of the public, including academic researchers, who rely upon the Free Software Directory as a trusted and convenient source of information.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to a discuss David's qualifications and experience further. I'd be happy to expand on my recommendation.
Joshua Gay Former Licensing & Compliance Manager Free Software Foundation
Work on the FSD
"Free Software Directory volunteers are making a concerted effort to add many more IceCat extensions to the FSD. Driving much of this work is David Hedlund, who has curated lists of hundreds of popular add-ons for our community of volunteers to review and hopefully add to the FSD. David's approach is creative. His top tier list is browser add-ons with over one million daily users, his second tier list have between 100k and 999k daily users, and so on. In addition to creating these lists, David has made over a thousand edits and has added many new packages and pages to the FSD over the past few months." - Joshua Gay, Licensing and Compliance Manager, Free Software Foundation, GNU IceCat and the Free Software Directory, 2015-07-08
Notorious contribution to the FSD:
See Free Software Directory:Participate/Project Team for all Free Software Directory projects I'm involved in.
I've contacted the author of the *licenseutils* package and asked him to make automated verification possible. Currently there are over 2000 software that we need to verify licenses for on the list below, doing it manually isn't feasible.
My favorite pages
|Anki||A spaced repetition flashcard program.||http://ankisrs.net/|
|ColumnsWizard||Add a custom column, set the default columns settings for any new folder, and show hidden columns in the Conversation Tab and in the search window.||http://micz.it/thunderdbird-addon-columnswizard/||GPLv3|
|G'MIC||GREYC's Magic for Image Computing||http://gmic.eu||CeCILLv2|
|I2P||Invisible Internet Project||https://geti2p.net/||PublicDomain, BSD, GPLv2 with exception, Artistic|
|Komodo||A Zcash fork.||https://komodoplatform.com/||AGPLv3orlater, Expat|
|Licenseutils||Put copyright and license notices at the head of source code files||http://sv.gnu.org/p/licenseutils||Other, GPLv3orlater|
|Icedove||Easy to use e-mail client||https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/||GPLv2orlater, LGPLv2.1orlater|
|Tor Browser||A Firefox ESR-based web browser for use of the TOR network||https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html||GPLv3orlater|
|UBlock Origin||A wide-spectrum blocker. Easy on CPU and memory.||https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock||GPLv3orlater|
|Zcash||Zcash is a decentralized cryptocurrency that offers privacy and selective transparency of transactions. Zcash payments are published on a public blockchain, but the sender, recipient, and amount of a transaction remain private||https://z.cash/||AGPLv3orlater, Expat|
|Zclassic||Zclassic is a Zcash fork with no 20% Founders Tax.||http://zclassic.org/||AGPLv3orlater, Expat|
These entries carry extra high importance.
- Android Studio
- ARChon Packager
- ARChon Runtime for Chrome
- Disabilities - https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?search=disability&title=Special%3ASearch
Issues that needs your vote
- F-Droid Requests For Packaging: The policy is wrong about giving authors the power to decline inclusion
- F-Droid client: Cannot copy text
- F-Droid website: No register page
- F-Droid website: Fdroid forum is down
- LibreJS: Support Chrome
- IceCat: IceCat 52.0.02: Sync broken
- Iridium: Proprietary components?
- Iridium: Consider shipping LibreJS with Iridium (Iridium is based on Chrome) -- However, LibreJS must first support Chrome
- LibreJS: LibreJS 6.0.13 inserts new lines in text fields (in MediaWiki)
- Radio Browser: Provide redirected destination URLs of the network streams
- RadioDroid: Sync RadioDroid with radio-browser.info
- uBlock Origin: options missing from ublock origin 1.14.4 in firefox android 55.0.2
- F-Droid website: Please add Requests For Packaging to https://f-droid.org/issues/
- F-Droid Requests For Packaging : collection
- F-Droid Admin: Decide what to do with the wiki
- F-Droid Requests For Packaging: AndrOpen Office
- Firefox: Make it possible to limit and hide the add-on bar
- Firefox: Add the option to hide/show tabs, as well as keyboard shortcuts to hide/show specific/all tabs
- Libreoffice: Add a command line configuration option (declined)
- MediaWiki: Create a MediaWiki package for download which contain basic elements of the English Wikipedia
- Popup Blocker (strict): Always show the popup window
- Popup Blocker (strict): Request: Menu on addon button [Add "Whitelist/Blacklist sources" to the popup]
- radio-browser.info: Import 20,000 steams from the Icecast Radio Directory
- radio-browser.info: Import the SHOUTcast Radio Directory
- Radiodroid: Feature request: Important: Add option "Do not show broken stations in lists" (the RadioDroid setting)
- Radiodroid: Feature request: Make it possible to bookmark subcategories ("Country", "Tag", etc), and "By popularity"
- Thunderbird: Add support for WebExtensions
- Thunderbird: Start name day calendars (vote)
- Trisquel: Add Thunderbird as the default mail client. Sent to Ruben: Will Thunderbird replace Evolution as email client? I've asked you to consider this because Firefox (Icecat) add-ons can also run in Thunderbird.
- VLC: Network stream recording: Save the stream to segmented files -- streamripper unmaintained since 8 years.
Need more volunteers
- Savannah - I've been waiting for many months since I submitted a new project but it's still not approved. Nobody care to respond when I ask what's going on. This is obviously frustrating.
- GNU IceCat -- I've already asked all GUIX icecat package maintainers to be part of the GNUzilla group
- Data copied from Add-on lists
Missing free software in the ecosystem
List of _important_ apps that can be found in Google Play but not in F-Droid.
- e-ID's -- This is and will remain the single most important kind of app that should be free because in the future it will be mandatory to wear a mobile phone connected with a identification system to even shop food to survive.
- F-Droid Data: Mobilt BankID (Sweden): https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/issues/685
- USB video camera
- Import to F-Droid Requests For Packaging : AndrOpen Office
- From my local Trac bug tracker:
> Sent to https://sites.google.com/site/andropenoffice/contact-us > > "* [ x] The original app author has been notified (and supports the inclusion)." - https://gitlab.com/fdroid/rfp/issues/new?issue%5Bassignee_id%5D=&issue%5Bmilestone_id%5D= > > Is it ok with you if the F-Droid community build and publish AndrOpen? Office on f-droid.org ? > > Your reply email will be used as reference.
- MediaWiki: Web-based AutoWikiBrowser alternative
- Chrome Web Store missing extension License
I've sent this message 16 Aug 2015 to [libreplanet-discuss](https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2015-08/msg00030.html), and repeatedly to the FSF, RMS: Chrome Web Store is the official Chrome web browser website for supported exentions. However, it can also be used to install extensions to the free variants of Chrome known as Chromium and Iridium (built on Chromium + improved privacy). Iridium (unstable) can be installed from: https://launchpad.net/~strukturag/+archive/ubuntu/iridium-unstable. Iridiums extension directory is located in ~/.config/iridium/Default/Extensions/. However, Chrome Web Store do not show the license for the extensions which makes it hard to verify which extensions that are free or not. You have to install the extension and manually look into the source code of each files in the extension directory. I suggest that the FSF contact Google (https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/business/devices/contact.html) and ask them to add "License(s)" to the default text to the extensions in Chrome Web Store so we can build a verified free repository in the FSD. # Response 30 Mar 2017 > DBH: I don't want to burden you, should I ask them myself every 3rd month for example? > RMS: Today I had a discussion about it. Sooner or later, things will start moving.
The pages I've submitted
|ARChon Runtime for Chrome||Run Android Apps in Chrome in OS X, GNU/Linux and Windows||https://archon-runtime.github.io/|
|Chromium Embedded Framework||The Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) is a simple framework for embedding Chromium-based browsers in other applications.||https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef||BSD 3Clause|
|IceCat/InFormEnter||InFormEnter adds a small, clickable icon next to every input field in a web form, from where you can select the item to be inserted - no typing required.||http://firefoxer.ru/|
- David Hedlund/Backlog
- David Hedlund/Bug tracker
- David Hedlund/Collection:Windows
- David Hedlund/Concept:GNU
- David Hedlund/GNU
- David Hedlund/Sandbox
- David Hedlund/Sandbox/Free Software Directory:Issues
- David Hedlund/Sandbox/Template:FSD Tracker
- David Hedlund/Template:Free software replacements
- David Hedlund/common.js
- David Hedlund/test2
- David Hedlund/x
pages with license name: 0
- Bureaucrat: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=bureaucrat&limit=500
- Administrators: http://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=sysop&limit=500
- Donald Robertson: "I am Donald Robertson, the Copyright & Licensing Associate for the Free Software Foundation. "
- Iank (FSF employee)
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.