David Hedlund 🧙🏼
- 1 More
- 2 Free software contributions
- 3 Resume
- 4 Work on the FSD
- 5 Background
- 6 Documentation contributions
- 7 My favorite programs
- 8 Todo
- 9 Collections to start
- 10 Entries that need more info
- 11 Issues that needs your vote
- 12 Need more volunteers
- 13 Planned software and releases
- 14 Missing free software in the ecosystem
- 15 The pages I've submitted
- 16 My subpages
- 17 Licenses
- 18 Guidelines
- 19 Contact list
- 20 Mentorship
- MediaWiki data associated with my user account: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:Browse/:User:David-20Hedlund
Top priority: Collection:Electronic identification
Free software contributions
Note that private email conversations, forums that cannot list contributions if not logged in (eg forums.mozillazine.org), and chat logs are excluded here. Copying is permitted, but only if you modify the source.
|My Project||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|GNU Sovix (inactive)||savannah.gnu.org||directory.fsf.org|
|Feedback for websites - Freedom (IceCat promo)||GitHub|
|WILB - Website Incompatibilities for Libre Browsers (IceCat promo)||GitHub|
|Software facility profile||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|F-Droid (Replicant promo)||gitlab.com/fdroid/||forum.f-droid.org|
|Free Software Directoryemail@example.com|
|GitHub||See "Source repo"||github.com||github.com|
|Mozilla (Firefox (GNUzilla IceCat), Thunderbird)||addons.mozilla.org (AMO)||wiki.mozilla.org||mozdev.org||bugzilla.mozilla.org||discourse.mozilla-community, support.mozilla.org|
|Major software||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|Bitcoin (anonymous cryptocurrency promo)||bitcoin.it|
|Debian (gNewSense promo)||bugs.debian.org|
|Coreboot (Libreboot promo)||coreboot.org||review.coreboot.org||coreboot.org (no search)|
|Tor Browser (IceCat promo)||trac.torproject.org|
|Monero (contributions planned)||github.com||forum.getmonero.org|
|Operating systems||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|Ubuntu GNU/Linux (Trisquel promo)||bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu|
|Misc||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
Free Software Foundation
To Whom it May Concern,
It is my pleasure to recommend David Hedlund, whom I have known for a number of years when I was an employee at the Free Software Foundation (FSF), a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization based in Boston, MA USA. I found David had a great mix of not only being able to work hard and independently, but to also work as a team-player. His knowledge of free software and Internet technologies in general is extremely broad.
David was and remains a volunteer for the FSF. While David helps the organization in a variety of ways (including constructive and helpful feedback on all aspects of our work), most of my interactions with David were from his great many contributions to the Free Software Directory, a digital catalog of useful free software that runs under free operating systems. The Directory is a complex Wiki-based system for which David contributed data and information to in a variety of different ways. To help his own work, David even went so far as to write his own set of scripts to help organized and scrape data from other sites. His contributions to Directory not only helped the FSF as an organization, but have been used by countless members of the public, including academic researchers, who rely upon the Free Software Directory as a trusted and convenient source of information.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to a discuss David's qualifications and experience further. I'd be happy to expand on my recommendation.
Joshua Gay Former Licensing & Compliance Manager Free Software Foundation
Work on the FSD
"Free Software Directory volunteers are making a concerted effort to add many more IceCat extensions to the FSD. Driving much of this work is David Hedlund, who has curated lists of hundreds of popular add-ons for our community of volunteers to review and hopefully add to the FSD. David's approach is creative. His top tier list is browser add-ons with over one million daily users, his second tier list have between 100k and 999k daily users, and so on. In addition to creating these lists, David has made over a thousand edits and has added many new packages and pages to the FSD over the past few months." - Joshua Gay, Licensing and Compliance Manager, Free Software Foundation, GNU IceCat and the Free Software Directory, 2015-07-08
Notorious contribution to the FSD:
See Free Software Directory:Participate/Project Team for all Free Software Directory projects I'm involved in.
I've contacted the author of the *licenseutils* package and asked him to make automated verification possible. Currently there are over 2000 software that we need to verify licenses for on the list below, doing it manually isn't feasible.
When I was 23 years young, I read the biography Free as in Freedom by Dr Richard Stallman (RMS) who is also the founder of the Free Software Foundation, the GNU Project, and the GNU General Public License which all had a great impact on me. I had already I mostly used Debian GNU/Linux at the time that I migrated 100% to GNU/Linux after I read the book and contacted RMS eagerly because I was so happy that his book and the free software movement had helped me to let go of my ego and developed me into a free spirit. Stallman gave a positive response to my emails and since I was fascinated by his political philosophy in free software it didn't take long before I helped him to add political notes to his website, stallman.org. A few years later I decided that I wanted to contribute to the GNU Project, so I wrote GNU Sovix, a website revision system that at its time was quite innovative since its pragmatic code could modify both PostreSQL and MySQL databases. Stallman was my free software consult for GNU Sovix.
Several years later I joined volunteers to improve the free content in Wikipedia and Free Software Directory, and more recently PsychonautWiki. I've been the add-on repository maintainer for GNU IceCat a few years now. I've spent over 10k hours on free software activism and over 10 k to document about entheogens in overall. I've filed hundreds of bug reports.
Please don't take Wikipedia to seriously, they are not scientific, for example they say that "Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution... The Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to describe the operating system, which has led to some controversy.".
I was finally blocked because I could not remember all their editing rules which cover at least a book. I don't mind so much, I used to merge my own MediaWiki articles to Wikipedia. Now I cannot do that any longer, but that does not stop other people to keep doing it for me.
- 2013, 47th place English medical editor (total 0.6 Mb): "The Cure Award: In 2013 you were one of the top 300 medical editors across any language of Wikipedia. Thank you so much for helping bring free, complete, accurate, up-to-date medical information to the public. We really appreciate you and the vital work you do!" - Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Stats/Top English medical editors 2013b
- User data: https://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools-ec/?user=David%20Hedlund&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia
- Notable contributions: To come...
My favorite programs
Programs that I think are extra useful.
|Anki||A spaced repetition flashcard program.||http://ankisrs.net/|
|ColumnsWizard||Add a custom column, set the default columns settings for any new folder, and show hidden columns in the Conversation Tab and in the search window.||http://micz.it/thunderdbird-addon-columnswizard/||GPLv3|
|Electrum||A secure, forgiving, lightweight and easy to use Bitcoin client||http://electrum.org/||GPLv3orlater|
|G'MIC||GREYC's Magic for Image Computing||http://gmic.eu||CeCILLv2|
|Icedove||Easy to use e-mail client||https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/||GPLv2orlater, LGPLv2.1orlater|
|I2P||Invisible Internet Project||https://geti2p.net/||PublicDomain, BSD, GPLv2 with exception, Artistic|
|Licenseutils||Put copyright and license notices at the head of source code files||http://sv.gnu.org/p/licenseutils||Other, GPLv3orlater|
|Matrix-synapse||Synapse: Matrix reference homeserver||https://matrix.org/||Apache2.0|
|Monero Core||Monero (XMR), after the Esperanto word for money, is a CryptoNight-based cryptocurrency forked from Bytecoin (BCN).||https://getmonero.org/||BSD 3Clause|
|Openbazaar-go||OpenBazaar 2.0 Server Daemon in Go||https://openbazaar.org/||X11|
|Openbazaar-desktop||OpenBazaar 2.0 Desktop Client (talks to openbazaar-go server daemon)||https://openbazaar.org/|
|Performous||karaoke game that allows user supplied songs||http://performous.org/||Other, GPLv2orlater|
|Tor Browser||A Firefox ESR-based web browser for use of the TOR network||https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html||GPLv3orlater|
|UBlock Origin||A wide-spectrum blocker. Easy on CPU and memory.||https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock||GPLv3orlater|
|Youtube-dl||Download YouTube and many other sites' videos||http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/||PublicDomain|
- Trisquel Tweak Tools
- Alternative to Spotify based on YouTube + Discogs
- Public broadcasting
Directory Friday IRC Meeting
- Add GNU Health to https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page ?
- Remove "Antifeature" from Free_Software_Directory:Free_software_evaluation#Software_evaluation
Consult Donald on these issues:
- Can we add Magnetico - https://github.com/boramalper/magnetico ? If so I'll list it next to Tribler listed in https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:SaaSS
- Omron Blood Pressure Manager: Please distribute your program under a free license
- Why would we recommend platforms like Telegram that's fully proprietary but only its clients are free in https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Free_software_replacements?
Collections to start
These entries carry extra high importance.
- Android Studio
- ARChon Packager
- ARChon Runtime for Chrome
- Disabilities - https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?search=disability&title=Special%3ASearch
Entries that need more info
IceCatMobile F-Droid package maintainer - https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.gnu.icecat/
Issues that needs your vote
- Firefox: Remove the "Play DRM-controlled content" option from EME-free builds
- uBlock Origin: Thunderbird 60 support?
- sr.se: Add Opus support -- Then add them to the Icecast radio directory
- Firefox language packs
- Tor Browser: "Digital rights management" (DRM) status for Tor Browser for each O
- AVideo: Digital restriction management (DRM) incompatible
- F-Droid, data: Add anti-features for obsoleted programs
- F-Droid, Requests For Packaging: The policy is wrong about giving authors the power to decline inclusion
- Once the prior issue has been fixed do this: F-Droid Requests For Packaging : collection
- androidports/core: clarifying license & source
- Bitnami MediaWiki: mention dumpBackup.php
- Bitnami MediaWiki: Set different default ports for MySQL to avoid port conflict with packages
- Replace the Linux icon with Wine in the VST database page
- AppLock: AppLock does not ask for pattern lock at uninstallation
- Jami: [Feature request Privacy settings] -- Important: Add lock screen, screenshot protection, and screenshot notification
- Silence: Feature request - Auto-delete after reading message
- Open-keychain: "Remember until cleared" is forgotten after reboot
- "Playback doesn't pause if headphones disconnect"
- Thunderbird Lightning: No color bars showing in calendar categories
- Unable to select "My key" from openkeychain
- No new mail notification
- Meta issue: Drafts/Sent/Trash directories does not sync on IMAP accounts
- LMMS: Meta-bug: VST2 Issues · Issue #5433 · LMMS_lmms
- NewPipe: Ability to play downloaded videos #478
- Etar: Random notification sound
- Enigmail: How do I delete the Enigmail settings
- RadioDroid: Buffer lag
- Trisquel: Names (organization names, brands, etc) faulty replaced with "Trisquel" (permanent follow up issue)
- Icedove: icedove: Keyboard broken for Reply
- Silence: Allow blank messages to be sent
- Free web-based IRC client issues
- IceCat: Free web-based IRC client replacement for Mibbit needed
- Free Software Directory:Free software evaluation: IRC clients
- The Directory: irc://chat.directory.fsf.org/fsf
- HTML5 Video Everywhere!: Doesn't work in YouTube
- addons.mozilla.org: removed add-ons:
- HTTPS Everywhere!: planet.gnu.org
- Disable Battery Warnings: Disable Battery Warnings not found in the menu bar
- F-Droid website: No register page
- LibreJS: Support Chrome
- Iridium: Proprietary components?
- LibreJS: IceCat 52.0.02: Sync broken
- LibreJS: LibreJS 6.0.13 inserts new lines in text fields (in MediaWiki)
- Radio Browser: Provide redirected destination URLs of the network streams
- RadioDroid: Sync RadioDroid with radio-browser.info (verify) -- Not possible to delete stations must be fixed first
- uBlock Origin: options missing from ublock origin 1.14.4 in firefox android 55.0.2 (works in Firefox for Android 57, but not in IceCatMobile 55)
- PilferShush Jammer: Detect microphone blockers. Turn on passive jammer if it is detected.
- Headphone indicator: Headset indicator
- MusicPiped: Doesn't work with YouTube shelf_id
- MusicPiped: [Feature Request] Ability to export history/playlist
- SkyTube: Download video as audio
- CanvasBlocker: Blocked fingerprintings
- bookmarks-organizer: Add favicons
- Cookie Autodelete: Document all cookie types and their API status
- Cookie Autodelete: Cookie prompt
- Cookie AutoDelete: Suggested option: Whitelist saved Firefox logins
- Calendar Notification: Volume settings (suggestion)
- DuckDuckGo: Make a "DuckDuckGo as default search engine" add-on
- Etar, sound issues:
- Etar: Loop reminders until dismissed
- Etar: Advanced repeat options needed to schedule all observances
- F-Droid Admin: Decide what to do with the wiki -- admin wanted
- Firefox: Implement the Firefox for Android progress bar
- Firefox: Add an option to automatically hide icons from the add-on bar
- Firefox: Add the option to hide/show tabs, as well as keyboard shortcuts to hide/show specific/all tabs
- Libreoffice: Add a command line configuration option (declined)
- MediaWiki: Create a MediaWiki package for download which contain basic elements of the English Wikipedia
- Popup Blocker (strict): Always show the popup window
- Popup Blocker (strict): Request: Menu on addon button + whitelist/blacklist
- radio-browser: Important: Add option "Do not show broken stations in lists" (the RadioDroid setting)
- radio-browser API: Import 20,000 steams from the Icecast Radio Directory
- radio-browser API: Import the SHOUTcast Radio Directory
- Radiodroid: Feature request: Make it possible to bookmark subcategories ("Country", "Tag", etc), and "By popularity"
- Thunderbird: Add support for WebExtensions
- Thunderbird: Start name day calendars (vote)
- VLC: Network stream recording: Save the stream to segmented files -- streamripper unmaintained since 8 years.
- YouTube: Show full title for deleted videos
Need more volunteers
- RadioBrowser may need more developers to survive
- GNU IceCat -- I've already asked all GUIX icecat package maintainers to be part of the GNUzilla group
- Bad review: https://linuxreviews.org/GNU_IceCat
- Data copied from Add-on lists
- Savannah - I've been waiting for many months since I submitted a new project but it's still not approved. Nobody care to respond when I ask what's going on. This is obviously frustrating.
Planned software and releases
- Project Fission: "Fission is Mozilla's project to implement Firefox site isolation. This introduces a major architecture change in Firefox such that a unique process is allocated for the main web page and for each unique third-party iframe embedded in it, thereby safely sandboxing them and further strengthening Firefox security." - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Project_Fission
- Check the status 2021: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Project_Fission#Milestones
- MailExtension: The only valid extension type in Thunderbird 74 and later.
- Legacy WebExtensions: Deprecated in Thunderbird 74.
- Legacy Bootstrap Extension: Deprecated in Thunderbird 68.
- Legacy Overlay Extension: Deprecated in Thunderbird 68.
Current releases and release notes:
- Thunderbird 68: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/68.0/, https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/68.0/releasenotes/
- Add-on support: Add-ons are only supported if add-on authors have adapted them
- Dictionary support: Only WebExtension dictionaries are supported now. Both addons.mozilla.org and addons.thunderbird.net now provide WebExtension dictionaries.
- Theme support: Only WebExtension themes are supported now. Both addons.mozilla.org and addons.thunderbird.net now provide WebExtension themes.
- Thunderbird 74 beta 2: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/74.0b2/, https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/74.0beta/releasenotes/
- These notes apply to Thunderbird version 74 beta 2 released February 28, 2020.
- Thunderbird 74 no longer supports "legacy" extensions.
- Thunderbird tracks the ESR schedule. Firefox ESR 78.3 is expected to be released in 2020-09-22. - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar
- Trisquel: Icedove 68.7.0
Missing free software in the ecosystem
- I2P based web browser. Browsers has to be configured to use I2P for the moment.
- Firefox: Support eepsites (.i2p)
List of _important_ apps that can be found in Google Play but not in F-Droid.
- A SHAZAM clone
- A free app that functioning like midomi.com -- "You can find songs with midomi and your own voice. Forgot the name of a song? Heard a bit of one on the radio? All you need is your computer's microphone."
- Screenshot blocker
- e-ID's -- This is and will remain the single most important kind of app that should be free because in the future it will be mandatory to wear a mobile phone connected with a identification system to even shop food to survive.
- F-Droid Data: Mobilt BankID (Sweden): https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/issues/685
- Popup Ad Detector-Detect ad showing outside of app
- External micro-USB (OTG) video camera
- MediaWiki: Web-based AutoWikiBrowser alternative
- Chrome Web Store missing extension License
I've sent this message 16 Aug 2015 to [libreplanet-discuss](https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2015-08/msg00030.html), and repeatedly to the FSF, RMS: Chrome Web Store is the official Chrome web browser website for supported exentions. However, it can also be used to install extensions to the free variants of Chrome known as Chromium and Iridium (built on Chromium + improved privacy). Iridium (unstable) can be installed from: https://launchpad.net/~strukturag/+archive/ubuntu/iridium-unstable. Iridiums extension directory is located in ~/.config/iridium/Default/Extensions/. However, Chrome Web Store do not show the license for the extensions which makes it hard to verify which extensions that are free or not. You have to install the extension and manually look into the source code of each files in the extension directory. I suggest that the FSF contact Google (https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/business/devices/contact.html) and ask them to add "License(s)" to the default text to the extensions in Chrome Web Store so we can build a verified free repository in the FSD. # Response 30 Mar 2017 > DBH: I don't want to burden you, should I ask them myself every 3rd month for example? > RMS: Today I had a discussion about it. Sooner or later, things will start moving.
The pages I've submitted
|ARChon Runtime for Chrome||Run Android Apps in Chrome in OS X, GNU/Linux and Windows||https://archon-runtime.github.io/|
|Chromium Embedded Framework||The Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) is a simple framework for embedding Chromium-based browsers in other applications.||https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef||BSD 3Clause|
|IceCat/Belgium eID||Use the Belgian electronic identity card (eID) in Firefox||http://eid.belgium.be/||LGPLv3|
|IceCat/InFormEnter||InFormEnter adds a small, clickable icon next to every input field in a web form, from where you can select the item to be inserted - no typing required.||http://firefoxer.ru/|
pages with license name: 0
- Bureaucrat: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=bureaucrat&limit=500
- Administrators: http://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=sysop&limit=500
- #fsf moderators
- Michael McMahon - sysadmin
I'm a mentor to Rishibit
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.