David Hedlund 🧙🏼
😌 Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands 🧼 | My personal backlog
I'm usually available as
David Hedlundon irc.libera.chat in the #fsf channel between 13:00-23:00 in my local time (run
TZ="Europe/Stockholm" date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M"to see it).
- 1 My favorite programs
- 2 Top priority
- 3 FSD Tracker
- 4 About me
- 5 Free software contributions
- 6 Resume
- 7 Work on the FSD
- 8 Background
- 9 Documentation contributions
- 10 The pages I've submitted
- 11 My subpages
- 12 Licenses
- 13 Guidelines
- 14 Contact list
My favorite programs
Programs that I think are extra useful.
Software that I could not live without:
|LibreOffice||Office suite supported by the free software community.||https://www.libreoffice.org/||MPL, LGPLv3|
|MediaWiki||Wiki engine used by Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia||https://www.mediawiki.org/||GPLv2orlater|
|Ventoy||An open source tool to create bootable USB drives||https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html|
|Virt-manager||Manage virtual machines||https://virt-manager.org/|
Software that I use sometimes but could live without:
|Etherpad||Server software for real-time collaborative editing which allows users to edit documents using their web browser||https://etherpad.org/||Apache2.0|
Software that I don't use but respect:
|Electrum||A secure, forgiving, lightweight and easy to use Bitcoin client||http://electrum.org/||GPLv3orlater|
|Matrix-synapse||Synapse: Matrix reference homeserver||https://matrix.org/||Apache2.0|
|Monero Core||Monero (XMR), after the Esperanto word for money, is a CryptoNight-based cryptocurrency forked from Bytecoin (BCN).||https://getmonero.org/||BSD 3Clause|
Computer workers are often advised to take breaks and look at distant objects. A routinely recommended approach is to consciously blink the eyes every now and then (this helps replenish the tear film) and to look out the window to a distant object or to the sky—doing so provides rest to the ciliary muscles. One of the catch phrases is the "20–20–20 rule": every 20 minutes, focus the eyes on an object 20 feet (6 meters) away for 20 seconds. This basically gives a convenient distance and timeframe for a person to follow the advice from the optometrist and ophthalmologist. Otherwise, the patient is advised to close their eyes (which has a similar effect) and relax the face and neck muscles for two minutes, at least every half-hour. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_vision_syndrome
Take a rest with closed eyes for 1 minute for every hour. So if you work for 6 hours without break, then power nap for 6 minutes.
Programs that force you are useful to help you spend time on other things like cleaning your apartment, improve your cooking techniques, etc. Excessive computer use can be compared with problematic smartphone use.
- Workrave -- block the screen or annoy you -- even if they can be disabled
Computer vision syndrome (CVS)
For wide computer monitors.
- Firefox-based browsers: Install the WebExtension Zoom Page WE.
- Zoom Page WE Options
- General -> Zoom Type: Text
- Zoom Levels -> Default Text Levels: 130 [for a 32-inch monitor]
- Zoom Page WE Options
FSD core issues
My time to contribute to the Directory is limited. From the start of 2022 I will only help out to solve the core issues of the project. When they are stalled by the FSF, then I simply stop participating in the meetings until you have time to continue working on them.
- It is useless to add or update entries. The Debian project has 51 000 packages! The FSF should fix, maintain, and run the Debian meta-data import script: See Free_Software_Directory:Backlog_active#Directory_import. This is a very important issue to fix that has been unresolved for years.
- Craig mentioned that Yuchen Pei (IRC nick: dragestil) might be interested in working on the script.
- Craig might be asking the FSF tech team: "It is a question of time for them (very busy folks)... [however] I also don't have a problem getting in the sysadmin's work queue, so I can do that as well."
- We should finish the new bug tracker, so we can merge old issues.
- SPDX is an ISO/IEC JTC 1 standard: The issues in the SPDX Group should be solved.
- It is hard to cooperate between organizations occasionally. I recommend the FSF to work with Gary from the SPDX organization, he's humble.
- Make the Sopel both announce approved revisions, see Free_Software_Directory:IRC_bot#Methods
Using github.com without JS for the FSF staff
See Backlog#Haketilo since the client may not allow registration.
(20:19:12) david_hedlund: craigt: Perhaps we should document how to create GitHub issues with https://docs.github.com/en/github-cli/github-cli/ at the FSD? (20:20:49) craigt: david_hedlund: I am interested in that. (20:21:19) david_hedlund: craigt: "For many years, hub was the unofficial GitHub CLI tool. gh is a new project that helps us explore what an official GitHub CLI tool can look like with a fundamentally different design. While both tools bring GitHub to the terminal, hub behaves as a proxy to git, and gh is a standalone tool. Check out our more detailed explanation to learn more." - https://github.com/cli/cli#installation (20:22:07) craigt: david_hedlund: Can you create accounts with the CLI? (20:22:46) david_hedlund: craigt: This is more important than Ventoy, please save your spare time. So you can report the issue during your work time instead. (20:22:49) david_hedlund: I'll help you. (20:23:26) david_hedlund: craigt: https://docs.github.com/en/github-cli/github-cli/about-github-cli does not mention if an account can be created, but you can report that issue to GitHub with your current account using gh. (20:24:07) david_hedlund: gh = GitHub CLI (20:27:18) david_hedlund: https://github.com/cli/cli -> https://github.com/cli/cli/blob/trunk/README.md -> https://github.com/cli/cli/blob/trunk/docs/install_linux.md (20:35:18) craigt: david_hedlund: ok (21:02:24) craigt: I will invest some time into it. (21:10:25) david_hedlund: +
- Collection:Forensics and penetration -- Cyberattack simulation tools to improve security.
- The worldwide information security market is forecast to reach $170.4 billion in 2022. - https://www.gartner.com/en/documents/3889055/forecast-analysis-information-security-worldwide-2q18-up
- "Swedbanks haveri visar vår sårbarhet... En rapport från konsultbolaget Capgemini häromåret visade att bankerna ofta sitter fast i gammal teknik som passerat bäst-före-datum. Och att företagsledningarna tvekar inför att investera i modernare system eftersom det är så dyrt." - https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/kolumnister/a/wO2v0P/swedbanks-haveri-visar-var-sarbarhet
- Professor: Sverige behöver ett cyberhemvärn - https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/professor-sverige-behover-ett-cyberhemvarn
I requested the FSF to install a bug-tracker 24th August 2016: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Free_Software_Directory:Backlog_active&oldid=37166#Bug_tracker but they declined to avoid maintainance. To solve the issue, I wrote a functional MediaWiki-based minimalist bug-tracker, called FSD Tracker, from scratch overnight consisting of 25 lines of code, on 14 May 2020. It's a minimalist software to avoid maintenance for the admins of the Free Software Directory where the source code is hosted.
- MediaWiki data associated with my user account: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:Browse/:User:David-20Hedlund
My real name is David Hedlund. I am a bureaucrat and an administrator on the Free Software Directory. (verify) I was an intern with the FSF tech team during the summer in 2018.
Top priority: Collection:Electronic identification
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, chat with me on IRC, or contact me on my talk page (which will send a copy to my email). I'm also a free software developer.
Free software contributions
Note that private email conversations, forums that cannot list contributions if not logged in (eg forums.mozillazine.org), and chat logs are excluded here. Feel free to copy/paste the source of the table below to your own user page, just make sure to exclude my own data. ;)
- Disable email notifications not possible in: h-node.org
- Not sure
|My Project||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|GNU Sovix (inactive)||savannah.gnu.org||directory.fsf.org|
|Feedback for websites - Freedom (IceCat promo)||GitHub|
|WILB - Website Incompatibilities for Libre Browsers (IceCat promo)||GitHub|
|Software facility profile||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|F-Droid (Replicant promo)||gitlab.com/fdroid/||forum.f-droid.org|
|Free Software Directoryemail@example.com|
|GitHub||See "Source repo"||github.com||github.com|
|GNU packages||debbugs.gnu.org (how to report)|
|Mozilla (Firefox (GNUzilla IceCat), Thunderbird)||wiki.mozilla.org||mozdev.org||bugzilla.mozilla.org||discourse.mozilla-community, support.mozilla.org|
|Major software||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|Bitcoin (anonymous cryptocurrency promo)||bitcoin.it|
|Debian (Ubuntu -> Trisquel promo)||bugs.debian.org (how to report)|
|Coreboot (Libreboot promo)||coreboot.org||review.coreboot.org||coreboot.org (no search)|
|Tor Browser (IceCat promo)||trac.torproject.org (account deleted)|
|Monero (contributions planned)||github.com||forum.getmonero.org|
|VLC||code.videolan.org (GitHub authorized login)|
|Operating systems||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
|Trisquel GNU/Linux||Cannot sign up to gitlab.trisquel.org||trisquel.info (cannot list my bugs), and cannot access individual bugs (example: Names (organization names, brands, etc) faulty replaced with "Trisquel"|
|Ubuntu GNU/Linux (Trisquel promo)||bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu (how to report)|
|Misc||Website||Wiki||Source repo||Bug tracker||Mailing-list||Forum|
Free Software Foundation
To Whom it May Concern,
It is my pleasure to recommend David Hedlund, whom I have known for a number of years when I was an employee at the Free Software Foundation (FSF), a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization based in Boston, MA USA. I found David had a great mix of not only being able to work hard and independently, but to also work as a team-player. His knowledge of free software and Internet technologies in general is extremely broad.
David was and remains a volunteer for the FSF. While David helps the organization in a variety of ways (including constructive and helpful feedback on all aspects of our work), most of my interactions with David were from his great many contributions to the Free Software Directory, a digital catalog of useful free software that runs under free operating systems. The Directory is a complex Wiki-based system for which David contributed data and information to in a variety of different ways. To help his own work, David even went so far as to write his own set of scripts to help organized and scrape data from other sites. His contributions to Directory not only helped the FSF as an organization, but have been used by countless members of the public, including academic researchers, who rely upon the Free Software Directory as a trusted and convenient source of information.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to a discuss David's qualifications and experience further. I'd be happy to expand on my recommendation.
Joshua Gay Former Licensing & Compliance Manager Free Software Foundation
Donald Robertson III
Work on the FSD
- 2015: "Free Software Directory volunteers are making a concerted effort to add many more IceCat extensions to the FSD. Driving much of this work is David Hedlund, who has curated lists of hundreds of popular add-ons for our community of volunteers to review and hopefully add to the FSD. David's approach is creative. His top tier list is browser add-ons with over one million daily users, his second tier list have between 100k and 999k daily users, and so on. In addition to creating these lists, David has made over a thousand edits and has added many new packages and pages to the FSD over the past few months." - Joshua Gay, Licensing and Compliance Manager, Free Software Foundation, GNU IceCat and the Free Software Directory, 2015-07-08
- 2016: I made my ten thousandth edit 30th October.
Notorious contribution to the FSD:
- Started Free_Software_Directory:Antifeatures
- Started FSD:IceCat extensions (proposed)
See Free Software Directory:Participate/Project Team for all Free Software Directory projects I'm involved in.
I've contacted the author of the *licenseutils* package and asked him to make automated verification possible. Currently there are over 2000 software that we need to verify licenses for on the list below, doing it manually isn't feasible.
When I was 23 years young, I read the biography Free as in Freedom by Dr Richard Stallman (RMS) who is also the founder of the Free Software Foundation, the GNU Project, and the GNU General Public License which all had a great impact on me. I had already I mostly used Debian GNU/Linux at the time that I migrated 100% to GNU/Linux after I read the book and contacted RMS eagerly because I was so happy that his book and the free software movement had helped me to let go of my ego and developed me into a free spirit. Stallman gave a positive response to my emails and since I was fascinated by his political philosophy in free software it didn't take long before I helped him to add political notes to his website, stallman.org. A few years later I decided that I wanted to contribute to the GNU Project, so I wrote GNU Sovix, a website revision system that at its time was quite innovative since its pragmatic code could modify both PostreSQL and MySQL databases. Stallman was my free software consult for GNU Sovix.
Several years later I joined volunteers to improve the free content in Wikipedia and Free Software Directory, and more recently PsychonautWiki. I've been the add-on repository maintainer for GNU IceCat a few years now. I've spent over 10k hours on free software activism and over 10 k to document about entheogens in overall. I've filed hundreds of bug reports.
Please don't take Wikipedia to seriously, they are not scientific, for example they say that "Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution... The Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to describe the operating system, which has led to some controversy.".
I was finally blocked because I could not remember all their editing rules which cover at least a book. I don't mind so much, I used to merge my own MediaWiki articles to Wikipedia. Now I cannot do that any longer, but that does not stop other people to keep doing it for me.
- 2013, 47th place English medical editor (total 0.6 Mb): "The Cure Award: In 2013 you were one of the top 300 medical editors across any language of Wikipedia. Thank you so much for helping bring free, complete, accurate, up-to-date medical information to the public. We really appreciate you and the vital work you do!" - Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Stats/Top English medical editors 2013b
- User data: https://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools-ec/?user=David%20Hedlund&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia
- Notable contributions: To come...
The pages I've submitted
|ARChon Runtime for Chrome||Run Android Apps in Chrome in OS X, GNU/Linux and Windows||https://archon-runtime.github.io/|
|Chromium Embedded Framework||The Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) is a simple framework for embedding Chromium-based browsers in other applications.||https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef||BSD 3Clause|
|IceCat/InFormEnter||InFormEnter adds a small, clickable icon next to every input field in a web form, from where you can select the item to be inserted - no typing required.||http://firefoxer.ru/|
- David Hedlund/Backlog
- David Hedlund/Bug tracker
- David Hedlund/Collection:Windows
- David Hedlund/Concept:GNU
- David Hedlund/GNU
- David Hedlund/Sandbox
- David Hedlund/Sandbox/Free Software Directory:Issues
- David Hedlund/Sandbox/Template:FSD Tracker
- David Hedlund/Template:Free software replacements
- David Hedlund/common.js
- David Hedlund/test2
- David Hedlund/x
pages with license name: 0
- Bureaucrat: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=bureaucrat&limit=500
- Administrators: http://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=&group=sysop&limit=500
- #fsf moderators
- Michael McMahon - web developer
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.