User talk:David Hedlund
Sign your posts using
~~~~ (four tildes).
Why didn't you move the page?
Put --~~~~ here just to notify me if you have updated the Why didn't you move the page? issue on your talk page.
Desktopd Mozilla extensions
Can you add
- ClickGuard https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clickguard/ (GPL-3+, a general security/utility add-on for everyone)
- Zombie Navigator https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zombie-navigator/ (AGPL-3+, because can be used server-side) An important add-on because this is specifically developed to enable full unattended automation of GNU IceCat, Debian Iceweasel, Trisquel ABrowser, Mozilla-branded Firefox (which require signing by Mozilla), or any modern Firefox-based browser on GNU, BSDs, OS/X, or even Windows. Many people say full automation of Firefox requires signing-disabled versions of Firefox, but this add-on is even approved and signed by Mozilla so works everywhere in theory.
Both require ESR 38 or later. The DesktopD project is a project to develop desktop-related free software utilities and innovative supporting code libraries. (Source code repositories) --Desktopd (talk) 06:09, 9 March 2016 (EST)
- We've released a new and hot extension for Mozilla products: No Resource URI Leak https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-resource-uri-leak/ (GPLv3+, Git). It fixes one of the most critical privacy leaks and fingerprinting vectors in Firefox-based browsers. It is really tiny but pretty important until the Mozilla bug is fixed (likely not soon). I think we should have it in GNU IceCat by default because the problem needs a browser-level fix. Can you help? Thanks.
Status of GNU Sovix and Sovix Diet?
- I don't work on any of them since several years. --David Hedlund (talk) 15:24, 3 November 2016 (EDT)
Hi David. This package is a game that runs on GNU/Linux. It has nothing to do with the whole system. Telling its name is an irritant to be avoided is a wrong interpretation of this text. IMHO, such templates should be avoided ;) Genium (talk) 15:06, 16 January 2017 (EST)
To answer your question, the rationale for gnuradio being flagged as having nonfree documentation is [here]. If you want details on how or why documentation-obstructing CloudFlare-served captchas take away users freedom (by imposing involuntary servitude, denying privacy, and subjecting their personal data to corporate 3rd party sharing) see this post:
Wikipedia on "Linux"
- Thanks, but don't expect any revolution on Wikipeida. Its often more worth working on individual wikis like the FSD for specific philosophies like free software. --David Hedlund (talk) 05:18, 28 September 2017 (EDT)
Improvements to list of SaaSS replacements
Based on what Bill-auger said, I moved (with redirect) Collection:SaaSS replacements to Collection:Self-hosting software and SaaSS replacements, made some explanation of the issue, improved the old items so that they use the entries' Property:Short description, improved these descriptions a little and also merged the work done in Collection:SaaSS to this new page. I didn't have time to add other SaaSS replacements mentioned in revision 53123 of Collection:SaaSS. --Adfeno (talk) 22:34, 16 February 2018 (EST)
Request to include 2 of my GPLv3 webextensions to your collection
1) Wayback Everywhere
2) Warn Common Password
- All add-ons distributed under a free license will automatically via FreeAMO, so your add-ons will be included once FreeAMO will sync addons.mozilla.org with directory.fsf.org. --David Hedlund (talk) 14:27, 6 August 2018 (EDT)
Edit : Apologies for multiple edits in your talk page. I tried to edit from GNU ICECAT browser and somehow when it clicked save, it submitted with spaces added to beginning of some lines which resulted in breaking all other topics. I corrected them manually and to try make them look like how they were before - but I am not convinced I managed to restore it to prior state.
- Please disable GNU LibreJS that's inbuilt in GNU IceCat when you edit MediaWiki sites. See https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Backlog#Programs_that_are_incompatible_with_directory.fsf.org
Italian translation of wiki/Collection:Windows
Hi David, I've wrote the Italian translation you requested during the weekly meeting and linked it in the original page. If you think the translation is appropriate, feel free to turn the temporary link into a regular one so end users know the translation is ready.
As always, I remain available for every need. --LorenzoAncora (talk) 07:25, 10 March 2020 (EDT)
Turkish Translation Community and team leader : i want to lead the team
Hi David hope you are good i want to know if you are in touch with Turkish translation community members and i want to know if the team leader is ready for contribution or i want to be the team leader to make sure the community is active for contribution
Thoughts on Mertgor
OPINIONI believe that at least half a year of experience should be required to fill a leadership role, if he is actually suitable for that role (we just met him). As for joining the Translation team, this is OK for me; the same for self-approved write access, but for the latter I would wait to see how he behaves in the next 3 months. Remember that the Free Software Directory is related to the Free Software Foundation and to the GNU Project, therefore shared trust in the administrators is necessary. Mert seems to have a willingly but superficial character, and I'm sure he is very young, therefore in order to avoid - involuntary - damage it would be appropriate to proceed slowly, taking the necessary time, allowing him to acquire all the necessary knowledge and then practice under our mentoring until independence is reached. As always, my credo is festina lente. --LorenzoAncora (talk) 15:54, 13 March 2020 (EDT)
Very good call!
Could you please check if there is any problem with Brave Browser, I just know it's a Chromium-based web browser. I edited the page just to add categories for Wikidata… Thanks. Genium (talk) 21:51, 22 April 2020 (EDT)