A game engine for building and playing online adaptations of board games and card games.
VASSAL is an engine for building and playing Internet-capable versions of turn-based, human-vs-human games. Players move and manipulate game pieces via the mouse while typing accompanying text. Moves can be recorded into a log file and stepped through one at a time for email play. During live Internet play, all moves and text are automatically broadcast to other players in real time. Combining a live VASSAL session with a third-party Internet voice-chat tool (such as NetMeeting or TeamSpeak) allows you to play with people around the world at very close to face-to-face pace.
What distinguishes VASSAL from other board gaming tools?
- Play in real time over a live Internet connection or via email
- Switch between email and live play any number of times during the course of a game
- 100% Java application runs on any platform
- Intuitive drag-and-drop and menu-driven interface with many keyboard shortcuts
- Auto-report feature reports customizable messages automatically in response to every move
- Customizable maps: define the number of map windows, each with its own set of tools. Even define your own icons for the toolbar.
- Customizable counters: define a different right-click menu, with nested menus, for each counter. Define your own keyboard shortcuts.
- Customizable help files: define your own HTML-based online help pages. Define your own charts and tables for reference during play. Even write your own interactive tutorials.
- Advanced counter definitions: rotate to any number of facings, n-sided, combined layers, arbitrary shapes, text labels in customizable fonts and colors, property sheets.
- Limited information capability: pieces that hide their identity or turn completely invisible. Map windows that can be hidden from other players.
- Import any GIF/JPG/PNG graphics file for your maps and counters
- Modular, extensible design with open-source Java code base
- IRC general channel
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/vassalengine/svn/ vassalengine-svn
26 May 2017
Leaders and contributors
Resources and communication
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 26 May 2017.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.