Broaden your selection: Category/Science
- AeroCalc is a python package that performs various aeronautical engineering calculations. Currently, it contains the following main modules:
- BRL-CAD includes an interactive geometry editor, parallel ray-tracing support for rendering and geometric analysis, path-tracing for realistic image synthesis, network distributed framebuffer support, image-processing and signal-processing tools.
- GNU C-Graph is a tool for visualizing the mathematical operation of convolution underlying natural phenomena susceptible to analysis in terms of engineering signals and systems theory. "C-Graph" is an abbreviation for "Convolution Graph". The package is derived from the BSc. Honours dissertation in Electrical Engineering "Interactive Computer Package Demonstrating: Sampling Convolution and the FFT", Adrienne Gaye Thompson, University of Aberdeen (1983). The package computes the linear convolution of two signals in the time domain then compares their circular convolution by demonstrating the convolution theorem. Each signal is modelled by a register of discrete values simulating samples of a signal, and the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) computed by means of the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT). GNU C-Graph is interactive, prompting the user to enter character or numerical values from the keyboard, dispensing with the learning curve for writing code. The software will be useful to students of signals and systems theory. C-Graph is written in contemporary Fortran. You can find pre-GNU development versions at: <http://codeartnow.com/code/download/c-graph-1/c-graph-version-2-preview>. Adrienne Gaye Thompson is the sole author of GNU C-Graph and looks forward to sharing further development with the FLOSS community.
- Electric is an electrical CAD system for designing a electrical circuits. A wide variety of file formats are supported and a range of functionality allows you to manage your products from initial design to simulation and analysis. The software is useful for displaying several different types of circuit designs, such as printed circuits or CMOS.
Electric handles custom IC layout (ASICs), schematic drawing, hardware description languages, and electro-mechanical hybrid layout. It includes the following CAD operations: design rule checking, simulation interface (8 options), PLA generation, compaction, compensation, routing (4 options), VHDL compilation, silicon compilation, and network consistency checking.
- FreeSnell is a program which computes optical properties of multilayer thin-film coatings. Dielectric, metallic, and granular metallic films are supported. The FreeSnell package includes a SCM script (program) "nk" to create, manage, and query a refractive-index spectral database. FreeSnell is an application of the SCM Scheme implementation and the WB B-tree database package.
- GDC is a utility to calculate compressible flow (Gas Dynamics Calculator). It provides calculations for isentropic nozzle, isothermal nozzle, isothermal, Fanno, Rayleigh flow, etc. It also provide calculations for shock and oblique shock by direct calculations (no iteration, probably the only one that can do it). The result are in plain text, LaTeX, or a range of values.
- Icarus Verilog
- Icarus Verilog is a Verilog simulation and synthesis tool. It operates as a compiler, compiling source code writen in Verilog (IEEE-1364) into some target format. For batch simulation, the compiler can generate an intermediate form called vvp assembly. This intermediate form is executed by the ``vvp command. For synthesis, the compiler generates netlists in the desired format. The compiler proper is intended to parse and elaborate design descriptions written to the IEEE standard IEEE Std 1364-2001. The standard proper was released towards the middle of the year 2001, though in a rather pricey electronic form. This is a fairly large and complex standard, so it will take some time for it to get there, but that's the goal. NOTE: Under the Version information please browse the Installation link to find the proper download link.
- The Intel HEX file format widely used in microprocessors and microcontrollers area as the de-facto standard for representation of code for programming microelectronic devices. This library provides support for reading, modifying, writing Intel HEX files. You also can create new files from the scratch, convert from and/or to binary form, print human-readable dump of data, merge 2 or more files into one, etc. There are several helper scripts: hex2bin, bin2hex, hex2dump and hexmerge.
- GNU MPC is a C library for the arithmetic of complex numbers with arbitrarily high precision and correct rounding of the result. It extends the principles of the IEEE-754 standard for fixed precision real floating point numbers to complex numbers, providing well-defined semantics for every operation. At the same time, speed of operation at high precision is a major design goal.
- Mastrave is a free software library written to perform vectorized scientific computing and to be as compatible as possible with both GNU Octave and Matlab computing frameworks, offering general purpose, portable and freely available features for the scientific community. Mastrave is mostly oriented to ease complex modeling tasks such as those typically needed within environmental models, even when involving irregular and heterogeneous data series.
Semantic array programming
The Mastrave project attempts to allow a more effective, quick interoperability between GNU Octave and Matlab users by using a reasonably well documented wrap around the main incompatibilities between those computing environments and by promoting a reasonably general idiom based on their common, stable syntagms. It also promotes the systematic adoption of data-transformation abstractions and lightweight semantic constraints to enable concise and reliable implementations of models following the paradigm of semantic array programming.
There are a couple of underlying ideas: library design is language design and vice versa (Bell labs); language notation is definitely a "tool of thought" (version), in the sense that there is a feedback between programming/mathematical notation and the ability to think new scientific insights. And perhaps ethic ones.
Science and society
Mastrave is free software, which is software respecting your freedom. As many other free scientific software packages, it is offered to the scientific community to also promote the development of a free society more concerned about cooperation rather than competitiveness, heading toward knowledge and culture freedom.
Such a vision implies the possibility for motivated individuals to freely access, review and contribute even to the cutting-edge academic culture. This possibility relies on the development of tools and methodologies helping to overcome economic, organizational and institutional barriers (i.e. knowledge oligopolies) while systematically promoting reproducible research. This is a long-term goal to which the free software paradigm can and has been able to actively cooperate.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution itself.