GNU shell utilities
Command line utilities.
The shell utility programs are:
- basename- removes the path prefix from a given pathname
- chroot- changes the root directory
- date- prints the system date and time
- dirname- removes the last level or filename from a pathname
- echo- prints a line of text
- env- displays/modifies the environment
- expr- evaluates expressions
- factor- prints prime factor
- false- returns an unsuccessful exit status
- groups- prints the groups the user belongs to
- hostname- prints or sets the machine name
- id- print real/effective/ uid/gid
- logname- prints current login name
- nice- modifies scheduling priority
- nohup- lets a command keep running after logging out
- pathchk- checks file name portability
- pinky- lightweight 'finger' program; prints user information
- printenv- prints environment variables
- printf- formats and prints data
- pwd- prints the working (current) directory
- seq- prints numeric sequences
- sleep- suspends execution for a specified time
- stty- prints/changes terminal settings
- su- lets you adopt the ID of another user or superuser
- tee- sends output to multiple files
- test- evaluates an expression
- true- returns a successful exit status
- tty- prints terminal name
- uname- prints system information
- uptime- tells how long the system has been running
- users- prints current user names
- who- prints a list of all users currently logged in
- whoami- prints effective user ID
- yes- prints a string indefinitely
This program has been folded into GNU Core Utilities.
Selection from the FSF shop
If you have corrections to this entry or questions about it, please contact: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
released on 15 August 1999
If you have time and interest in resurrecting this GNU package, please contact: mailto:email@example.com
Accepts cryptocurrency donations.
1 January 2019
Leaders and contributors
Resources and communication
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 19 January 2019.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.