Programs related to FSF's High Priority Free Software Projects.
This collection is maintained by the Free software replacement project team.
Common distros usually provides a repository of nonfree software, we urge all GNU/Linux users to switch to a free distribution as soon as possible.
For non-Linux device drivers and firmware dependencies, see collection: Device drivers and firmware.
|Type||Free program||Replacement for|
|3D computer graphics software||Blender
||Autodesk Maya ("Maya")|
|Document viewer||Evince||Adobe Reader|
|Email client, news aggregator||Claws Mail
|Instant messaging client||Dino
|Live USB||dd from Coreutils
|Media player||VLC media player (VLC)||RealPlayer Basic|
|Numerical computing||GNU Octave
|Online storage||ownCloud (client only)||Dropbox|
|Nextcloud (client only)|
|Raster graphics editor||GIMP
|Vector graphics editor||Inkscape
|Web browser||GNU IceCat
- This is a selection of the more common free software applications available for GNU/Linux distributions, and is nothing like a comprehensive list. All software in the Directory runs on GNU/Linux systems.
- Included in the operating system.
- Mozilla branded programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird are not free software unless their names are changed. This is due to Mozilla's trademark policy that forbids selling copies of unmodified executables.
- GNU IceCat is a freedom focused fork of Mozilla Firefox ESR.
- Recommends nonfree software.
- We don't know any GUI program
- Adobe's Software is Malware
- Apple's Operating Systems Are Malware
- Google's Software is Malware
- Microsoft's Software is Malware
Free distros package wish lists that has been synced with this page:
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.