|Type||Free program||Replacement for|
|3D computer graphics software||Blender
||Autodesk Maya ("Maya")|
|Document viewer||Evince||Adobe Reader|
|Email client, news aggregator||Claws Mail
|Multimedia communication||Microsoft Skype|
|Instant messaging client||Cryptocat
|Live USB||dd from Coreutils
|Media player||VLC media player (VLC)||RealPlayer Basic|
|Online storage||ownCloud (client only)||Dropbox|
|Raster graphics editor||GIMP
|Vector graphics editor||Inkscape
|Web browser||GNU IceCat
- This is a selection of the more common free software applications available for GNU/Linux distributions, and is nothing like a comprehensive list. All software in the Directory runs on GNU/Linux systems.
- Included in the operating system.
- Mozilla branded programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird are not free software unless their names are changed. This is due to Mozilla's trademark policy that forbids selling copies of unmodified executables.
- GNU IceCat is a freedom focused fork of Mozilla Firefox ESR.
- Recommends nonfree software.
- We don't know any GUI program
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.