Source code tag system for C, C++, Java, and Yacc
GLOBAL is a source code tagging system that functions in the same way across a wide array of environments, such as different text editors, shells and web browsers. The resulting tags are useful for quickly moving around in a large, deeply nested project.
GNU GLOBAL has the following features:
- supports C, C++, Yacc, Java, PHP4 and assembly.
- works the same way across diverse environments including vi, emacs, less, bash…
- finds locations of specified symbol quickly.
- locates not only definitions but also references.
- allows duplicate tags.
- locates paths which matches to the specified pattern.
- hierarchical searches by default.
- searches not only in a source project but also in library projects.
- generates completion list for completing input method.
- supports various output formats.
- allows customizing of a set of candidate files to be tagged.
- understands POSIX 1003.2 regular expression.
- supports idutils as an external search engine.
- tag files are independent of machine architecture.
- supports incremental updating of tag files.
- plug-in parser is available to treat new language.
- supports customizing using ‘gtags.conf’.
- generates a hypertext of source code.
- compact format to save disk space.
- supports client/server environment (TRAMP ready).
- ignores binary files, dot files and specified files.
- includes cscope-compatible program (gtags-cscope).
- includes grep-like command (-g command).
- supports grep-like symbol highlighting.
DocumentationUser guide included and available online from https://www.gnu.org/software/global/manual/
This is a GNU package:
released on 19 December 2016
cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/sources/global co .
|License||Verified by||Verified on||Notes|
|License:GPLv3orlater||Genium||19 December 2016|
Leaders and contributors
Resources and communication
|Bug report||Mailing List Subscribe||https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-global|
|Developer||Mailing List Subscribe||http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/global-commit|
|User||Mailing List Subscribe||http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-global|
|Required to build||xlib6g|
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 19 February 2018.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.