A multi-function PVR
MythTV is a GPL licensed suite of programs that allow you to build the mythical home media convergence box on your own using free software and operating systems. MythTV has a number of capabilities. The television portion allows you to do the following:
- You may pause, fast-forward and rewind live Television.
- You may install multiple video capture cards to record more than one program at a time.
- You can have multiple servers, each with multiple capture cards in them. All servers are centrally managed and all programs are scheduled by the Master backend.
- You can have multiple clients (called "frontends" in MythTV parlance), each with a common view of all available programs. Any client can watch any program that was recorded by any of the servers. Clients can be diskless and controlled entirely by a remote control.
- You may use any combination of standard analog capture card, MPEG-2, MJPEG, DVB or HDTV capture devices. With appropriate hardware, MythTV can control set top boxes, often found in digital cable and satellite TV systems.
- Program Guide Data in North America is downloaded from Zap2It.com, a subsidiary of Tribune Media Services. This free service is called DataDirect, and provides MythTV almost two weeks of scheduling information. Program Guide Data in other countries is obtained using XMLTV. MythTV uses this information to create a schedule that maximizes the number of programs that can be recorded if you don't have enough tuners.
Other modules in MythTV include:
- MythArchive - create and burn DVD's from MythTV - binary file
- MythBrowser - A web browser for MythTV
- MythGallery - Image gallery/slideshow add-on module for MythTV
- Mythgame - Emulator & PC Game frontend module for MythTV
- MythMusic - Music add-on module for MythTV
- MythNetvision - A Internet Video Player plugin for MythTV
- MythNews - An RSS feed news reader module for MythTV
- MythWeather - Weather add-on module for MythTV
- MythWeb, which allows you to control your MythTV system using a web browser. With MythWeb, you can schedule recordings, delete files, change keybindings and more. With proper security, you may even schedule a program over the Internet and have it immediately acted on by the scheduler.
- MythPhone, phone and videophone using SIP.
DocumentationUser install documentation. See also, the MythTV wiki.
released on 15 May 2011
|License||Verified by||Verified on||Notes|
|GPLv2||Jgay||12 December 2005|
Leaders and contributors
|See complete list at||Contributor|
Resources and communication
|Help and support||Support||http://www.mythtv.org/support|
|Developer mailing list||Mailing List||http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev/|
|Code||VCS Repository Webview||http://code.mythtv.org/trac/|
|Bug Tracking||Bug Tracking||http://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo|
|Required to build||FreeType|
|Required to build||xmltv|
|Required to build||libmp3lame|
|Required to build||QT > 3.0|
This entry (in part or in whole) was last reviewed on 12 December 2011.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.