User talk:David Hedlund
Open issues are listed below. Click on Expand to include closed issues.
Open issues are listed below. Click on Expand to include closed issues.
Why didn't you move the page?
Put --~~~~ here just to notify me if you have updated the Why didn't you move the page? issue on your talk page.
Desktopd Mozilla extensions
Can you add
- ClickGuard https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clickguard/ (GPL-3+, a general security/utility add-on for everyone)
- Zombie Navigator https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zombie-navigator/ (AGPL-3+, because can be used server-side) An important add-on because this is specifically developed to enable full unattended automation of GNU IceCat, Debian Iceweasel, Trisquel ABrowser, Mozilla-branded Firefox (which require signing by Mozilla), or any modern Firefox-based browser on GNU, BSDs, OS/X, or even Windows. Many people say full automation of Firefox requires signing-disabled versions of Firefox, but this add-on is even approved and signed by Mozilla so works everywhere in theory.
Both require ESR 38 or later. The DesktopD project is a project to develop desktop-related free software utilities and innovative supporting code libraries. (Source code repositories) --Desktopd (talk) 06:09, 9 March 2016 (EST)
- We've released a new and hot extension for Mozilla products: No Resource URI Leak https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-resource-uri-leak/ (GPLv3+, Git). It fixes one of the most critical privacy leaks and fingerprinting vectors in Firefox-based browsers. It is really tiny but pretty important until the Mozilla bug is fixed (likely not soon). I think we should have it in GNU IceCat by default because the problem needs a browser-level fix. Can you help? Thanks.
I also started a discussion on Talk:Addressbooks Synchronizer. Do you get notification on this wiki if I just use your user page link? I see an option for it in the newer mediawiki version, but not this one. Btw, nice contributions you've made, I'm just getting involved. I'm hoping to get rid of the approval backlog, keep it gone, and upgrade this mediawiki instance and make it load way faster like wikipedia's speed. --IanK (talk) 00:47, 15 October 2016 (EDT)
Status of GNU Sovix and Sovix Diet?
- I don't work on any of them since several years. --David Hedlund (talk) 15:24, 3 November 2016 (EDT)
Hi David. This package is a game that runs on GNU/Linux. It has nothing to do with the whole system. Telling its name is an irritant to be avoided is a wrong interpretation of this text. IMHO, such templates should be avoided ;) Genium (talk) 15:06, 16 January 2017 (EST)
As Joshua said, "we are pretty close to getting all of the GNU packages with a gnu.org/s/<package> URL to have a corresponding directory.fsf.org/wiki/<packagename>"… Could you please restore gnuradio? Genium (talk) 11:00, 19 January 2017 (EST)
Your need to ask why an antifeature is flagged is in itself a problem of the wiki organization. The flags should be designed so that users can see the rationale, so there should be no need to ask. Transparency enables (rightful) criticism/discussion, ultimately to ensure proper flagging. Beyond that, the flag purpose is to warn users so they can make a decision, so the flag rationale makes these decisions more informed.
To answer your question, the rationale for gnuradio being flagged as having nonfree documentation is [here]. If you want details on how or why documentation-obstructing CloudFlare-served captchas take away users freedom (by imposing involuntary servitude, denying privacy, and subjecting their personal data to corporate 3rd party sharing) see this post:
Wikipedia on "Linux"
Hi David; I tried to fix this while retaining NPOV; let's see if it sticks. People clearly use the word Linux to denote a family of operating systems, by synecdoche. To insist otherwise is tantamount to language prescriptivism. An outright stupid statement like "Linux is an operating system" makes the Wikipedia look bad, though.Kazinator (talk) 15:40, 26 September 2017 (EDT)
- Thanks, but don't expect any revolution on Wikipeida. Its often more worth working on individual wikis like the FSD for specific philosophies like free software. --David Hedlund (talk) 05:18, 28 September 2017 (EDT)
Improvements to list of SaaSS replacements
Based on what Bill-auger said, I moved (with redirect) Collection:SaaSS replacements to Collection:Self-hosting software and SaaSS replacements, made some explanation of the issue, improved the old items so that they use the entries' Property:Short description, improved these descriptions a little and also merged the work done in Collection:SaaSS to this new page. I didn't have time to add other SaaSS replacements mentioned in revision 53123 of Collection:SaaSS. --Adfeno (talk) 22:34, 16 February 2018 (EST)
Good to hear that. There is a collection here that might prove useful. I believe the shots share the license with their target software but now I can't find where it says that... https://screenshots.debian.net/ -- Mviinama (talk) 00:36, 18 April 2018 (EDT)
Request to include 2 of my GPLv3 webextensions to your collection
Hi, Can you please include my 2 browser webextensions which I released under GPLv3 to your collection so that it can appear in ICECAT webextensions table and also in Trisquel addons page (I read that Trisquel developer uses your addon collections in AMO to compile list of free as in libre addons)
1) Wayback Everywhere
Description: Addon to Auto-redirect every page opened from twitter/other feeds to its archived version in Wayback Machine; auto-save the pages to Wayback Machine if not yet archived and It can auto-exclude sites based on error message thrown by Wayback Machine if a page cannot be archived. Bundled with a list of 600 sites (to provide a starting point) and it can be updated as you browse from the popup menu or settings page. Help page from the popup menu details the complete functionality of the addon
2) Warn Common Password
Description: Shows a warning notification if you enter a Common Password in Password field or Security Answer field. This addon compares a password against a list of 500000 common passwords from a publicly available list. This addon works entirely offline - as it's bundled with a wordlist.
- All add-ons distributed under a free license will automatically via FreeAMO, so your add-ons will be included once FreeAMO will sync addons.mozilla.org with directory.fsf.org. --David Hedlund (talk) 14:27, 6 August 2018 (EDT)
Edit : Apologies for multiple edits in your talk page. I tried to edit from GNU ICECAT browser and somehow when it clicked save, it submitted with spaces added to beginning of some lines which resulted in breaking all other topics. I corrected them manually and to try make them look like how they were before - but I am not convinced I managed to restore it to prior state.
- Please disable GNU LibreJS that's inbuilt in GNU IceCat when you edit MediaWiki sites. See https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Backlog#Programs_that_are_incompatible_with_directory.fsf.org
Italian translation of wiki/Collection:Windows
Hi David, I've wrote the Italian translation you requested during the weekly meeting and linked it in the original page. If you think the translation is appropriate, feel free to turn the temporary link into a regular one so end users know the translation is ready.
As always, I remain available for every need. --LorenzoAncora (talk) 07:25, 10 March 2020 (EDT)
Turkish Translation Community and team leader : i want to lead the team
Hi David hope you are good i want to know if you are in touch with Turkish translation community members and i want to know if the team leader is ready for contribution or i want to be the team leader to make sure the community is active for contribution
Thoughts on Mertgor
OPINIONI believe that at least half a year of experience should be required to fill a leadership role, if he is actually suitable for that role (we just met him). As for joining the Translation team, this is OK for me; the same for self-approved write access, but for the latter I would wait to see how he behaves in the next 3 months. Remember that the Free Software Directory is related to the Free Software Foundation and to the GNU Project, therefore shared trust in the administrators is necessary. Mert seems to have a willingly but superficial character, and I'm sure he is very young, therefore in order to avoid - involuntary - damage it would be appropriate to proceed slowly, taking the necessary time, allowing him to acquire all the necessary knowledge and then practice under our mentoring until independence is reached. As always, my credo is festina lente. --LorenzoAncora (talk) 15:54, 13 March 2020 (EDT)
Very good call!
Could you please check if there is any problem with Brave Browser, I just know it's a Chromium-based web browser. I edited the page just to add categories for Wikidata… Thanks. Genium (talk) 21:51, 22 April 2020 (EDT)
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.