Broaden your selection: Category/Uitoolkit
- Configuration Mania
- A Firefox extension provides a interface for tweaking its advanced (hidden) settings.
- For WebExtensions, see FSD:IceCat WebExtensions (proposed)#Approved
GNU IceCat (originally GNU IceWeasel) is part of GNUzilla (the GNU version of the Mozilla Application Suite). GNU IceCat aim to be based on the the current official release of Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) with removal of trademarked artwork and proprietary components.
However, IceCat is not a straight fork of Firefox ESR; instead, it is a parallel effort that works closely with and re-bases in synchronization on the latest Firefox ESR as the upstream supplier, with patches merged upstream whenever possible; although it should be noted that additional security updates are customized to IceCat occasionally.
Differences between IceCat and Firefox ESR
Important differences between Mozilla's Firefox and GNU IceCat is that IceCat has a focus on freedom and privacy (see settings.js for details).
- EME is not implemented: Whereas Firefox are being created such that they support Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) systems through their implementation of the Encrypted Media Extension (EME), GNU IceCat doesn't include an EME implementation as it opposes efforts to popularize and ease the dissemination of DRM technology.
- IceCat is configured with: WebRTC disabled
- Telemetry is disabled.
Unlike Firefox ESR, IceCat comes pre-installed with add-ons. They are:
- SpyBlock (Adblock Plus fork) to block privacy trackers.
- HTTPS Everywhere to get redirected to HTTPS when possible.
- HTML5 Video Everywhere! to replace proprietary video players with Firefox native video player.
GNU IceCat was formerly known as GNU IceWeasel but changed its name in 2008 to avoid confusion with Debian IceWeasel (who was rebranded back to Firefox in 2017)ref.
- Please read the IceCat page for full description about this browser. This page specifically lists IceCatMobile compatible add-ons in addition, Copy Profile do not exist for the desktop version for example. Add-ons from this AMO collection have been applied here. The F-droid download page is also provided. As usual IceCatMobile comes with SpyBlock, a modified variant of Adblock Plus. IceCatMobile is more free software liberal than Adblock Browser, a fork of Firefox for Android with Adblock Plus installed (see https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockbrowser/file/tip/LICENSE).
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.