Broaden your selection: Category/Protocol
- Allows the user to play shareable videos from various places like archive.org and CCC Media. This is the entry for the desktop version.
- FreeSpeechMe is a Free Software plug-in for IceCat that allows people to effortlessly view Dot-Bit websites. It works on GNU/Linux and Windows. Dot-Bit (.bit) is a new top-level domain that, unlike Dot-Com, Dot-Net, Dot-UK, etc., is NOT controlled by any government or corporation. FreeSpeechMe works over the distributed blockchain of the inexpensive cryptocurrency, Namecoin (a derivative of BitCoin). Namecoin is not generally traded as currency. It exists primarily for the purpose of decentralized DNS. Domains currently cost about 10 cents US of Namecoin to register. Before FreeSpeechMe, viewing Dot-Bit websites required changing DNS settings, and using non-vetted public DNS servers. FreeSpeechMe doesn't require changing DNS settings, so it is much more secure. Newly registered Dot-Bit websites can be viewed within three hours worldwide with FreeSpeechMe. IP or Nameserver update changes to an existing Dot-Bit website are viewable worldwide within 40 minutes. This isn't just "a plug-in." FreeSpeechMe, Dot-Bit and Namecoin are a complete new Internet ecosystem, free of the constraints of ICANN and the like. Please see tech FAQ for full list of improvements and implementations we're planning on for FreeSpeechMe and Namecoin: http://www.freespeechme.org/advanced-faq/
- 'lftp' is a sophisticated file transfer program with command line interface. Its multithreaded design lets you issue and execute multiple commands simultaneously or in the background. It also has mirroring capabilities and will reconnect and continue transfers if you get disconnected. Also, if you quit the program while transfers are still in progress, it will switch to nohup mode and finish the transfers in the background. Supported are FTP, HTTP, FISH, SFTP, HTTPS and FTPS protocols. BitTorrent protocol is also supported as 'torrent' command.
- OpenGnSys (Open Genesis) Project brings together the combined efforts of several Spanish Public Universities. OpenGnSys provide a number of free and open tools for managing and deploying computers. These tools supplies a complete, versatile and intuitive sytem. This system allows the arrangement, installation and deployment of different operating systems.
OpenGnSys architecture is flexible to adapt to the needs of different models of computer networks (companies and institutions) and can be used in different types of scenarios:
- Centralized management of ICT Units to Support Teaching and Research.
- Park Maintenance PC member of an institution.
- Deployment and maintenance of the servers in a Data Center.
- Administration of deployment repository for the Support Services ( help desk) of an Institution.
- Federated (ActivityPub) video streaming platform using P2P (BitTorrent) directly in the web browser with WebTorrent and Angular. It provides a platform anyone can host to build a video community while contributing to a larger federated network of other video instances. The technologies lower the burden on one's server by using P2P technology. It not only federates between PeerTube instances, but also with the larger fediverse network (Mastodon, Pleroma, Hubzilla, etc.).
- Popcorn Time
- Popcorn Time is a multi-platform, free software BitTorrent client that includes an integrated media player. The applications provide a free alternative to subscription-based video streaming services (such as Netflix). Popcorn Time uses sequential downloading to stream video listed by several torrent websites (although other trackers can be added and used manually). By default, Popcorn Time doesn't seed/share the torrents downloaded after the media or the software are closed or stopped.
- qBittorrent is a BitTorrent client that aims to be a free replacement of µTorrent. It has a built-in search engine, a Web interface for remote controlling, UPnP and IPv6 support.
- Transmission is a lightweight BitTorrent client. It features a simple, intuitive interface on top on an efficient, cross-platform back-end.
- It allows you to watch videos and download content. Tribler aims to combine the ease of Youtube.com with the performance of peer-to-peer. Tribler is backwards compatible with the BitTorrent download protocol. To discover interesting content standard RSS feeds with .torrent links are supported plus the "Tribe protocol" which automatically scans the network for available BitTorrent swarms upon startup. Tribler uses an embedded web browser to access video clips of Youtube.com and Liveleak.com. Other features are "People who like this also like" for recommending related swarms, the ability to make friends, and to donate idle upload capacity to friends. The later can improve download speed by a factor of two on asymmetric Internet links. The fastest way of social file sharing.
- Twister is a microblogging peer-to-peer platform, that is, it is a distributed system like bittorrent or similar file sharing technologies. Being completely decentralized means that no one is able to shut it down, as there is no single point to attack. The system is also designed so it cannot be censored, freedom of speech cannot be taken from you. And because the cryptography is employed end-to-end, no entity is able to spy on your communications.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the page “GNU Free Documentation License”.
The copyright and license notices on this page only apply to the text on this page. Any software or copyright-licenses or other similar notices described in this text has its own copyright notice and license, which can usually be found in the distribution or license text itself.